Repurposing our High Streets grants
Grants to help you get up and running
We’re offering capital grants of up to £30,000 (depending on the length of the lease or licence you take on) to businesses or organisations that take up leases on empty commercial premises in Crewe town centre.
Grants can be used to support you with the costs of improving the property – including fit-out costs – as well as to purchase equipment that you may need.
This grant can support either established organisations, or those who have just started up or are about to start up.
All types of organisations can apply for this funding, including businesses, charities, community interest companies, community and voluntary groups, social enterprises, and sole traders.
To be eligible, your organisation should meet all three of the following criteria:
- employ less than 50 people
- have a turnover of £10.2m or less
- have £5.1m or less on your balance sheet
To be eligible your organisation must also meet one of the below criteria:
- be wishing to lease or rent an eligible, previously empty commercial property
- have signed a lease or rental agreement for an eligible property within the 12 weeks prior to submitting your application, and not yet have started to trade from the property.
Eligible properties are those that are located with the Crewe town centre boundary, as defined in the Cheshire East Local Plan.
- Contact the ROHS scheme advisor to check if a property is an eligible area
You can read the full eligibility criteria for the grant scheme (PDF, 172KB).
How much you could be eligible for
The amount you can apply for depends on the length of your lease or rental agreement:
- 28 days to 12 months – up to £3,000
- 12-24 months – up to £7,500
- 24-36 months – up to £12,000
- 36-48 months – up to £20,000
- 48 months or longer – up to £30,000
In certain strategically located properties, we may agree to grants of up to £50,000.
What you can use the grant for
Here are some examples of the costs we may be able to support you with:
- extensions, improvements, or modifications to the premises
- replacing shop fronts, installing a new roof, window or, doors, rendering, stone/brick cleaning, electrical works, new floors or ceilings
- new equipment/shop fittings such as shelving, racks, storage and display units; food/refrigeration storage; food preparation equipment, such as ovens
- new equipment specific to your business/industry that is integral to your business providing services. (Examples include crockery for restaurants, hairdryers for salons)
Here are some examples of costs that are not eligible:
- rental or lease deposit or costs
- business rates
- staffing costs
- insurance costs
- promotional and marketing materials or activities
- new equipment that is not integral to your business providing services at the property (such as day-to-day consumables, staff room equipment, computers used off-site etc.)
Apply for the grant
If you think you may be eligible, contact our project team for an initial discussion.
How the grant is paid to successful applicants
Grants are paid in arrears, either in full, or in instalments, within six weeks of us receiving an eligible invoice or batch of invoices.
Page last reviewed: 31 May 2023
Thank you for your feedback.