Animal movement notification

Any person keeping or wanting to keep the following animals:

  • Cattle
  • Deer, sheep and goats
  • Horses
  • Pigs

Must apply to the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) for a holding number. When this number is received the animals can be moved onto or off the premises.


The movement of animals is regulated by the following:

  • Animal Health Act 1981
  • The Disease Control (England) Order 2003

How to apply

All livestock movements are controlled by general licence.  Deer, sheep and goats must also be accompanied by form AML1 and pigs by form AML2. These need to be completed in triplicate and one copy should be forwarded to the Animal Reporting & Movement Service, address on the bottom of the forms.

Conditions on the movement of animals are constantly being altered so make yourself aware of the latest conditions when applying for a movement licence by checking the DEFRA website.

Forms can also be obtained by contacting us directly.

Contact us

0300 123 5015

Page last reviewed: 15 November 2022