Rural rate relief 

Some types of rural business can get a discount on their Business Rates.

You might be able to get help with your Business Rates if your bill says your business is in any of the areas listed here.

Areas that count for rural rate relief in Cheshire East

Rural settlements in Cheshire East
Acton Doddington Odd Rode 
Adlington Eaton Ollerton and Marthall 
Agden Edleston  Over Alderley 
Alpraham Egerton Peckforton 
Arclid Faddiliey  Peover Superior
Ashley Gawsworth Pickmere
Astbury (inc. Astbury marsh) Goostrey (rest) Plumley with Toft and Bexton
Aston by Budworth Goostrey Village  Poole
Aston juxta Mondrum Great Warford  Pott Shrigley 
Audlem Hankelow  Rainow 
Austerson Hassall  Ravensmoor 
Baddiley Hassall Green  Ridley 
Baddington Hassal Green (Betchton)  Rode Heath (Odd Rode) 
Barthomley Hatherton  Rostherne 
Basford Haughton  Scholar Green (Odd Rode) 
Batherton Henbury  Siddington
Bickerton Henhull  Smallwood
Blakenhall High Legh  Snelson 
Bosley Hough  Somerford 
Bradwall Hulme Walfield Somerford Booths 
Brereton (rest) Hunsterson  Sound 
Brereton Green (Brereton) Hurleston  Spurstow 
Bridgemere Kerridge  Stapeley 
Brindley Kettleshulme  Stoke 
Broomhall Lea  Styal
Buerton Little Bollington Sutton (except ward 4G01)
Bulkeley Little Warford Sutton Langley (Ward 4G01) 
Bunbury Lower Peover  Swettenham 
Burland Lyme Handley  Tabley 
Calveley Macclesfield Forest  Tatton 
Checkley cum Wrinehill Marbury cum Quoisley  Twemlow 
Chelford Marton Walgherton 
Cholmondeley Mere  Wardle 
Cholmondeston Millington Warmingham 
Chorley (SK9) Minshull Vernon  Weston 
Chorley (CW5) Mobberley  Wettenhall 
Chorlton cum Wrinehill Moreton cum Alcumlow Wildboarclough 
Church Lawton (rest) Mottram St Andrew  Wincle 
Church Lawton North (Church Lawton) Mount Pleasant (Odd Rode)  Winterley (Haslington) 
Church Lawton South (Church Lawton) Mow Cop (Odd Rode)  Wirswall
Church Minshull Nether Alderley  Woolstanwood 
Coole Pilate Newbold (Betchton rest)  Worleston 
Cranage Newhall  Wrenbury cum Firth 
Crewe Green Norbury  Wybunbury 
Dodcott cum Wilkesley North Rode   

How much rural rate relief businesses can get

Until 31 March 2017, most types of rural rate relief include both a mandatory and a discretionary discount. You will definitely get the mandatory discount if your business meets the conditions. The discretionary amount isn't guaranteed. From 1 April 2017, 100% of rural rate relief will be mandatory.

Businesses that can get mandatory rural rate relief can't claim small business rate relief. 

Discounts for rural businesses

The rateable value thresholds given here are for both 1 April 2016 - 31 March 2017 and 1 April 2017 - 31 March 2018.

Rural business rates discounts
Type of businessMandatory discount 2016-2017 Maximum discretionary discount 2016-2017Mandatory discount 2017-2018Rural rate relief category
Sole post office or general store (selling household goods and food for human consumption that isn't mostly sweets), where the rateable value is less than £8,500  50%  50%  100%  29
Sole pub where the rateable value is less than £12,500  50%  50%  100%  30
Sole petrol station - on an A road and where the rateable value is less than £12,500  50%  50%  100%  31
Sole petrol station - not on an A road, and where the rateable value is less than £12,500  50%  50%  100%  32
Food shop where the main business is the sale of food for human consumption and where the rateable value is less than £8,500. Not catering businesses or shops selling mostly sweets  50%  50%  100%  33
Business of benefit to the community and where the rateable value is less than £16,500  0%  100% 0%  34

To apply, print off and return a rural rate relief application form (PDF, 401KB)

You must keep paying the rates shown on your bill while you wait to hear from us, unless we've agreed you don't have to.

Backdating claims for rural rate relief

The rules about backdating depend on whether the relief is mandatory or discretionary.

Mandatory relief

You can backdate claims for mandatory relief to 1 April 2000.

Discretionary relief

You can only apply for discretionary relief up to the 30th September following the 1 April - 31 March period the application relates to. This means you must apply for any relief for the rating year ending 31 March 2017 before 30 September 2017.

What happens next

We may visit the property and check your business meets the conditions for any mandatory relief. We'll then consider whether we can give any discretionary relief and if so, how much.

When we give discretionary relief, we are spending council tax payers and ratepayers money, so we need to be sure that giving the relief will benefit the community. We follow guidelines set down by councillors.

Once we've made our decision, we'll either send you a new bill or let you know why you can't get a discount.

We try to make decisions within 4 weeks, but it might take longer.

If you think we have made a mistake about a mandatory relief or want to challenge a decision about a discretionary relief, you can appeal

Renewing rural business rate relief

Once mandatory rural rate relief is added to your bill, you'll get it automatically the next year. 

Changes in circumstance for rural rate relief

You must contact the Business Rates team if your circumstances change. For example, if you are no longer the only shop or pub, or if you change what you sell so you no longer count for rural relief.

We do sometimes review reliefs. If you haven't told us about a change that means your property no longer counts, you'll have to pay the backdated business rates within 14 days.