British Citizenship Ceremonies
Covid-19 information for citizenship ceremonies
We have received the following information from the Citizenship Ceremonies Support Team Nationality Group at the Home Office:
- UKVI have extended the period that citizens are expected to book their citizenship ceremony from 3 months to 6 months
- This period will be kept under constant review
- UKVI advise that no adverse decisions will be made on applications because of delays caused by Covid-19
- Currently, due to Covid-19 restrictions in the Municipal Buildings, we are offering only private citizenship ceremonies
The final stage in becoming a British Citizen is to attend a citizenship ceremony. You are able to bring up to two guests to your ceremony.
We organise ceremonies for successful applicants for British Nationality so simply request 'Cheshire East’ as the place you would like to attend a ceremony on your Home Office application form.
We recognise that becoming a British Citizen is an important lifetime event. We will ensure that your ceremony is meaningful and reflects the significance of the occasion.
What happens at a ceremony?
The ceremony includes a welcoming speech and the applicants then swear or affirm an oath of allegiance to the Queen. The applicants also make a pledge to be a loyal subject to the United Kingdom. Our new British Citizens are then presented with their certificate of citizenship and a small token of welcome from Cheshire East Borough Council.
What do I need to bring with me?
Please bring your:
- Home Office Invitation letter (this will be either a paper or electronic document)
- A form of photo identification (driving licence or passport)
How long does a ceremony take?
The ceremony usually lasts around 15 minutes. We ask that you arrive no more than 5 minutes before the ceremony is due to begin so that you can complete the registration formalities.
Is there a dress code?
We do not specify a dress code. The ceremony is formal and most citizens choose to wear smart casual dress.
Can any applicant attend a ceremony in Cheshire East?
Any person residing in the UK can choose to have their ceremony with us. To do this, simply indicate ‘Cheshire East’ as your preferred ceremony location on your Home Office application form.
How do I apply for citizenship?
If you are interested in becoming a British Citizen, information is available on the Home Office website.
Page last reviewed: 22 June 2021
Thank you for your feedback.