Alcohol advice

Local alcohol support services

The Chief Medical Officers for the UK recommends that there are no safe levels of alcohol consumption and if you're pregnant, or planning to become pregnant, the safest approach is not to drink alcohol at all.

Men and women are advised not to regularly drink more than 14 units a week and also to spread drinking over three days or more if you do drink as much as 14 units a week.

14 units is equivalent to six pints of average strength beer or 10 small glasses of low strength wine.

Knowing how many units of alcohol you are consuming can help you to keep control of how much alcohol you drink. More information about how to calculate units is available via:

How to cut down your alcohol consumption

Cutting down on alcohol doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your social life.

Short and long term impact

Drinking alcohol can have short and long terms impact you your health, wellbeing, relationships, education, employment, housing, finances and safety.  Long term health impacts can include:

Sexually transmitted diseases, head injuries, liver disease, liver cancer, heart disease, strokes, bowel cancer, depression and dementia etc.

Further information about the impact of alcohol consumption, including specific diseases:

Is my alcohol consumption damaging my health?

The Drinkaware 7-day unit and calorie calculator can help you to work out your weekly alcohol consumption and find out the potential impact of your drinking.

Hidden harms of alcohol

The hidden harms of alcohol use can also lead to abuse, domestic violence and neglect:

Parental drinking

Parental drinking behaviour and alcohol consumption can have an impact on the behaviours of children and young people. The Drinkaware website provides advice and information for parents including: The risks of underage drinking, how to talk to your child, why talking to your child is good and how to prevent your child from drinking.

National helplines

Also in this section

Find a service

Rate this page

How do you rate this page?