Cheshire East Countryside Access Forum
The purpose of the Forum is to encourage and enable public access to the countryside for recreation and enjoyment. It is a statutory body set up as part of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act (2000) to advise Cheshire East Council and Natural England on putting the new legislation into effect. It is independent of the Council.
The Forum works to balance the desire for greater public access to the countryside with the needs of landowners and land managers and to ensure the natural environment is not damaged as a result. It also gives advice to planners of major housing and transport developments about protecting existing public rights of way and incorporating the needs of walkers, cyclists, horse riders etc.
Its members are volunteers representing different countryside interests including cycling, walking, conservation, land management and horse riding.
The Forum meets four times a year, currently in virtual format. Meetings are open to the public – please contact email@example.com if you would be interested in attending.
It can set up sub-groups on particular issues to work outside these times and report back to the Forum. Recent work on the current priorities of the Forum has included:
Forum members are happy to attend meetings of local groups to explain more about the work of the Forum – please get in touch if this might be of interest to your group.
The Forum covers all of Cheshire East except for that part of the county inside the Peak District National Park – the National Park has its own forum. The Terms of Reference of the Forum (PDF, 145KB) can be downloaded for information.
Current membership of the Forum is as follows:
Table list of forum members
|Forum member||Areas of interest|
||Disabled accessibility, walking
||Accessibility, walking, conservation
||Wildlife, conservation, planning
||Walking, cycling, running and wildlife conservation
|John Handley - Vice Chair
||Land management, landscape interpretation
|Cllr Chris Hilliard
||Ward Member for Wilmslow Lacey Green
||Walking, cycling, environment, conservation
|Maurice Palin - Chair
||Walking, cycling, sustainable tourism, environmental issues
||Accessibility, especially equestrian access
||Accessibility for all, walking, care and maintenance of the countryside
||Health improvement, local communities, walking
||Land management, responsible footpath use
||Visitor and rural economy, land management
||Accessibility, health improvement, cycling
The most recent annual reports of the Forum can be viewed here:
Meeting agendas and minutes
- CECAF meeting notes 21 September 2023 (PDF, 151KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 21 September 2023 (PDF, 150KB)
- CECAF Meeting Notes 15 June 2023 (PDF, 148KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 15 June 2023 (PDF, 146KB)
- CECAF meeting notes 9 March 2023 (PDF, 140KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 8 March 2023 (PDF, 157KB)
- CECAF meeting notes 8 December 2022 (PDF, 205KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 8 December 2022 (PDF, 151KB)
- CECAF meeting notes 8 September 2022 (PDF, 149KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 8 September 2022 (PDF, 103KB)
- CECAF meeting notes 9 June 2022 (PDF, 130KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 9 June 2022 (PDF, 133KB)
- CECAF meeting agenda 17 March 2022 (PDF, 150KB)
- CECAF meeting notes 17 March 2022 (PDF, 146KB)
Join us on Facebook
Contact Public Rights of Way
Contact Public Rights of Way
Page last reviewed: 15 June 2023
Thank you for your feedback.