Animal boarding establishments licence

You need a licence from Cheshire East Council to run a business providing:

  • boarding in kennels for dogs
  • boarding for cats
  • day care for dogs
  • home boarding for dogs

Before applying for a licence there are a number of things to take into account that we have listed in the guidance notes. 

You can find out if a business is licensed to keep animals by looking at our list of animal welfare establishments page. 

How to apply 

You can download the applicant profile, application form and the declaration form to apply for an animal boarding establishment licence.


Return completed forms:

By email to:

By post to:
Animal Health and Welfare Team
Cheshire East Council
Delamere House
Delamere Street


Payments may be made by calling 01270 686601, 01270 686720 or 01270 686597

Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm

Right of appeal

If we refuse to give you a licence, you can appeal to an independent tribunal.

If you disagree with the star/risk rating we have given, you can challenge your rating.

Contact us

0300 123 5015

Page last reviewed: 09 May 2024