Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
By giving us your email address when you apply you can attach evidence, pay for your Blue Badge online and receive updates about your application via email.
Evidence you will need to support your application
[Use the space bar as the keyboard command to see further information or click on the shaded bar]
The following checkboxes are used for accordion drop-downs. When selected, they show content that was visually hidden
Proof of your identity
We require 1 of the following proofs of identity:
- valid driving licence with the applicant's name and current address
- valid passport with the applicant’s name and passport number
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate/ divorce certificate
- civil partnership/dissolution certificate
- adoption certificate
- Identity card for foreign nationals
- HM forces ID card
- Benefit award letter from DWP dated within the last 12 months
- current bus pass
Proof of your address
We require proof of your address. You cannot use the same evidence you used for proof of your identification as proof of your address but you can use:
- a current Council Tax bill
- a valid driving licence
- a welfare benefit award letter dated within the last 12 months (for example PIP, DLA letter, HMRC tax credit letter)
- a current utility bill
- a current Hospital letter
- a current letter from social services
- a current letter from the school
- a current award letter from SPVA
If you have moved house in the last 3 years and your Blue Badge was issued by a Council other than Cheshire East, you should contact the council who issued the badge to tell them your new address.
You will need to provide a passport style and sized photo that has been taken within the last month. You can take this photo yourself using a mobile phone or tablet or you can ask someone to take one of you. The GOV.UK website gives examples of acceptable photographs. Your application may be delayed if your photograph isn't acceptable.
We recommend that you attach your photo as part of the online application.
If you are unable to provide a photo you can visit your local library (apart from Prestbury library) after you have completed the application and a member of the team will take your photo for free. Some of our libraries operate an appointment system, please check before you attend.You will need your reference number (this starts with SR and 7 digits) that is given to you on the screen when you have completed the application.
Proof of your qualifying condition
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - if you are applying due to a physical disability for example Arthritis or breathing problems. A letter from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) confirming you are in receipt of PIP and you are eligible through the ‘Moving Around’ mobility component. If you have lost this letter you can telephone the DWP on 0800 917 2222 for a replacement.
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – if you are applying due to a non physical disability for example Autism or Dementia. A letter from the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) confirming you are in receipt of PIP mobility component and have obtained 10 points specifically for Descriptor E under the “planning and following journeys” activity, on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress; If you have lost this letter you can telephone the DWP on 0800 917 2222 for a replacement.
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) Higher Rate Mobility Component - A letter from the DWP confirming you are in receipt of DLA higher rate mobility component, showing the expiry date. If you have lost this letter you can telephone the DWP on 0800 121 4433 for a replacement.
- War Pension or Armed Forces Compensation Scheme - A letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) confirming your War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme payment. If you have lost this letter you can telephone the SPVA on 0800 169 2277 for a replacement.
- Registered Blind or Severely Sight Impaired - If you are registered blind, please provide a Certificate of Visual Impairment, signed by a consultant ophthalmologist.
- Children Under Three - For a child under the age of three, please provide a paediatrician’s letter outlining your child’s medical condition and any special equipment they need to use
Proof of your non-visible condition
- Health and/or Social Care Professional - if you are only applying due to a non-visible disability we will need evidence about your condition from a health or social care professional involved in your diagnosis, care or ongoing treatment. Sometimes health or social care professionals charge for this. You should only get this form completed when advised by the Blue Badge Team. This is the form we will ask you to get completed if needed: Medical or Health Care professional to complete a form (PDF, 186KB).
Attendance Allowance is not a qualifying benefit for a Blue Badge.
You can upload your evidence as part of the online application. We recommend you do attach these documents as part of the online application so we can deal with your application efficiently.
When should you send in your supporting documents
When you have completed the online application if you are eligible for a Blue Badge you will be advised when to provide your supporting documents.
If you are unable to attach your supporting documents
You can complete the online application without your documents, then visit one of our libraries (apart from Prestbury library) where a member of the team can help you. Some of our libraries operate an appointment system, please check before you attend.You will need your reference number (this starts with SR followed by 7 digits) that is given to you on the screen when you have completed the application.
When to renew your Blue Badge
You can renew your Blue Badge up to 8 weeks before your existing badge expires. Your current badge is valid up to it's expiry date. Continue to use it until the expiry date. Only use your renewed badge from the valid from date. Please do not return your existing badge until after the expiry date.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge now
After your application
Eligible applicants will be asked to pay £10 fee for the badge.
Please allow up to 5 weeks from making your successful application and providing all supporting evidence to receiving your Blue Badge.
Open or close Cecilia chat bot
Our staff can help you if you are unable to apply online. Call us on 0300 123 5020.
Page last reviewed: 25 October 2022
Thank you for your feedback.