Cheshire East Household Waste Recycling Centres
All Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRC) are open seven days a week throughout the year including Bank Holidays and only close on Christmas Day.
|March - April
||08:00 - 18:00
|May - August
||08:00 - 20:00
|September - October
||08:00 - 18:00
||For Health and Safety purposes sites will close earlier if dark.
|November - February
||08:00 - 16:00
Locations of the Household Waste Recycling Centres
Below is a list of the Household Waste and recycling Centres, follow the links to see the sites on our interactive mapping system.
Household Waste and recycling Centres
|Location||Address and link to map||Telephone Number|
||off Hassall Road, Alsager ST7 2SJ (map)
||off Davenport Lane, Arclid, close to junction of A50/A534, CW11 2SR (map)
||off Albert Road, Bollington SK10 5HW (map)
||off Barn Road, off the A536 Congleton to Macclesfield Rd, CW12 1LJ (map)
||Pyms Lane, Crewe, off the A530 Middlewich to Nantwich Rd, CW1 3PJ (map)
||off Mobberley Rd (B5085), Shaw Heath, Knutsford WA16 8HT (map)
||off the A536 Macclesfield to Congleton Rd, Gawsworth, Macclesfield SK11 9QP (map)
||Croxton Lane, Middlewich CW10 9EZ (map)
||off Anson Road, Poynton, SK121TD (map)
For more information about facilities at the Centres contact 0300 123 5011. To leave a comment regarding the Recycling Centres, please contact the Household Waste Recycling Centre helpline on 01270 759106 which is open Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 17:00. Please note this number is solely for Household Waste Recycling Centre feedback and will not be able to help with other enquiries such as refuse and recycling collections.
- Only household waste is accepted at the Centres. See also Household Waste Permit Scheme
- Commercial and trade waste is not permitted and should be taken to appropriately licensed facilities. See Business Waste Collection or contact the Environment Agency for more details
- Gas cylinders cannot be accepted as they are the property of the gas company and should be returned to the supplier
- Tyres cannot be accepted.
Household Waste Permit
A Household Waste Permit is needed each time you use a Council HWRC with any sort of van, pickup, commercial type 4x4 or a trailer over 1.5 metres (internal length). If you arrive without a permit in one of these vehicles you will be refused entry to the centre. See Household Waste Permit Scheme for further information or telephone our Hotline on 0300 123 5011 between 08.30 and 17:00, Monday-Friday.
What you can recycle at the HWRCs
The following materials or items are collected at all of the Household Waste Recycling Centres:
- Textiles/clothing/shoes (these should be bagged) - Please note that duvets, pillows and cushion pads should not be put in the textile banks.
- Engine oil
- Vegetable/cooking oil
- Scrap metal
- Cans - steel and aluminium
- Plastic bottles
- Green garden waste
- Batteries - both car and household batteries
- Rubble - please note this is for small DIY projects only. For larger scale projects it is recommended that you hire a skip.
- Small and large domestic appliances
- Fridges and freezers
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Fluorescent tubes and energy saving bulbs
- Bric-a-brac (general reusable items).
Bonded Asbestos Waste
Special skips for the disposal of small quantities of bonded asbestos waste are provided at the Pyms Lane (Crewe) and Danes Moss (Macclesfield) Centres. No more than 6 sheets of asbestos can be accepted per property. It is recommended that you hire a specialist skip and consult asbestos removal contractors for larger scale work. Contractors can be found on the internet or the telephone directory.
Note: You should telephone the site (see numbers above) in advance of your visit to check available capacity. Report to the attendant upon arrival.
The waste management licence requires that all bonded asbestos delivered to the Centres must be double bagged or double wrapped in heavy duty polythene and sealed
When handling, transporting and disposing of bonded asbestos waste, we advise:
- keep the material damp
- avoid breaking up large pieces
- ideally transport in an enclosed vehicle or covered trailer
- wear a face mask and gloves
Waste Analysis - find out more about what gets thrown away at our Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Recycling Statistics - find out how much waste gets recycled at our Household Waste and Recycling Centres.
Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) Contract
From 1 February 2008, HW Martin Waste Ltd took over responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the Council's Household Waste Recycling Centres. The Centres are now operated under a performance-based contract which has increased the amount of waste recycled and composted as well as providing facilities for additional types of materials to be collected. Recycling rates overall have increased by at least 20 per cent.
Waste and recycling is now provided by Ansa - a company owned by Cheshire East Council