Household waste permit scheme
Our centres are not licensed to accept trade waste.
We have a permit scheme so that residents may dispose of their household waste in a van, pickup, commercial type 4x4 or a trailer over 1.5 metres (internal length). A permit must be handed in each time you use our household waste and recycling centres with any sort of these vehicle specifications. If you arrive without a permit in one of these vehicles you won’t be allowed to enter.
Six permits will be issued at a time and will be valid for a period of 6 months. Applications for the subsequent 6 permits may be made 1 month before the expiry of existing permits. A maximum of 12 permits will be issued over 12 months.
Apply for a waste permit
Permits are provided free of charge and are only valid for the deposit of household waste.
Apply for a household waste permit online
Alernatively, contact our waste permits team on 0300 123 5011 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday-Friday and we can place your order over the phone.
If you apply before 1pm, permits will be posted second class on the same day. If you apply after 1pm, it will be sent second class the following day.
Conditions of use
You must read our conditions of use before applying for a household waste permit.
- trailers in excess of 3.5 metres won’t be allowed on site under any circumstances
- trailers between 2.5 - 3.5 metres will only be allowed at Crewe and Macclesfield recycling centres
- plasterboard or asbestos waste will only be allowed at Crewe and Macclesfield recycling centres
- the length of trailers refers to the total internal length of the trailer box (excluding tow bar)
- vehicles above 3.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) aren’t authorised to use the household waste and recycling centres
- waste produced by or carried in the course of a business is trade waste and cannot be accepted at any of the household waste and recycling centres. Permits won’t be issued for the disposal of trade waste
Changes to existing household waste permits
If you are already have a household waste permit and your circumstances change, for example, you change vehicle or address, the permit must be reissued. Your unused permits must be returned to us at:
Macclesfield Town Hall
C/O Municipal Buildings
When we get the permit our customer services team will update the information and re-issue the amended waste permits.
Why we have a waste permit scheme
The household permit scheme helps us to prevent the illegal dumping of trade waste because:
- it prevents illegal tipping of trade waste at our 9 household waste and recycling centres.
- it’s an offence to deposit trade waste at household waste and recycling centres
- existing measures to stop trade waste being illegally deposited at our centres have had limited impact, this has resulted in increased waste and therefore increased costs to all Council Tax payers
- traders depositing waste at our centres increase traffic and congestion
- reduced queuing for householders would help make the recycling option more attractive and help us to meet government set recycling targets
- to prevent Landlord waste from rental property being dumped
- the permit scheme has been introduced to address these issues and to improve the standard of service for Cheshire residents.