Cheshire East public transport news and notices
In certain circumstances bus service registrations may be granted with a shorter notice period than normally required. Bus services must normally be registered with between 42 and 70 days notice with bus operators giving the council up to 28 days notice before they submit a registration to give the council time to assess the changes. GOV.UK has more information about running local bus services and penalties for poor service.
In the UK bus routes are required to be registered under the Transport Act 1985. You can find details of registered routes at:
£2 UK Gov Fare Cap
On the 4 October 2023 it was announced that the Government has decided to extend the £2 cap on single bus fares through the National Bus Fare Cap (NBFC), rather than implement a £2.50 cap. The Department for Transport will be providing funding to operators to continue to implement a £2 fare cap on single tickets from 1 November 2023 to 31 December 2024.
Cheshire East Bus Service Improvement Plan
Bus service changes in date order
8 January 2024 D&G changes
- 19, 19A D&G Bus: change to route 19 Monday - Friday afternoon peak running times to improve reliability. Some journey times increased.
- 39 Mikro: route revised, coming off Manor Road North and Vauxhall Road to allow a larger bus to be used.
- 42 D&G Bus: route and times are changed to improve reliability. Some journey times increased. West Street, Crewe and Elm Road, Middlewich section of route and St Marys stop removed. Service no longer enters Morrisons grounds, passengers will need to use the Eagle Bridge Health Centre stops along the new route via Dunwoody Way.
27 November 2023
- Middlewich Street, Crewe will be closed between Vernon Way and Remer Street from 27 November. Buses will be using Broad Street to the Cemetery then left onto Badger Avenue and right onto Vernon Way to pick up normal route.
20 November 2023
- 88, 188, 89 D&G Bus: times are changed from 20th November to improve reliability. Journey times increased.
14 November 2023 391, 392, 393
- Shrigley Road is shut, the 391, 392, 393 buses are having to divert via Spuley Lane for the duration of the closure.
29 October 2023
- 391, 392, 393 Belle Vue: route and timetable revised.
25 September 2023
- 47 Knutsford - Mere - High Legh - Lymm - Warrington: This service has been withdrawn from the Cheshire East sector by Warrington Borough Council and it will no longer operate between Lymm and Knutsford.
7 August 2023 - 88 service
- Boothfields at Knutsford is closed due to a sink hole. Our 88 service is diverting via Manor Park North and Mobberley road and we are unable to serve Shaw heath estate.
North West Crewe
- Flowers Lane is closed for 20 weeks from 26 June. Buses will have to use Middlewich Road and Smithy Lane. Going northbound, traffic must make a left turn out of Smithy Lane down to the new roundabout before heading north.
The mandatory requirement to wear face coverings has been lifted but the government recommends that people wear face coverings in certain situations.
Road closures, gritting and disruption information
You can view all the roadworks and road closures in East Cheshire on the Cheshire East highways roadworks page.
Passengers and commuters are recommended to follow Cheshire East Highway's Twitter account to receive the latest information on Highway and Transport issues for East Cheshire:
You can track your bus in real time with these operators:
During severe weather passengers and drivers are advised to check the weather forecast for Cheshire or visit the Met Office website for details of the latest weather forecast and weather warnings so they can make an informed decision before travelling.
Passengers can find bus stop timetable displays at over 999 bus stops in Cheshire East maintained by Ansa Transport. We try to update displays at bus stops the day before a service change but this can be a few days either side. We put the date at the top of each display to show when it was last updated.
Across Cheshire East 622 stops have raised kerbs installed to make boarding and alighting easier for disabled passengers and passengers with pushchairs.
You can report any errors / queries using the contact us form. It will take 5 minutes to complete.
Contact us about bus stops and timetable displays
To find out how we use your information see our privacy notice (opens in a new window).
Or phone 0300 123 5500 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 16:00).
Public transport information is now provided by Ansa Transport - a company owned and controlled by Cheshire East Council.
For Bus and Train times call Traveline 0871 200 22 33 calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
The English Traveline call centre opening hours are 7am to 10pm most days. You can find full details on Traveline's website.
Page last reviewed: 07 December 2023
Thank you for your feedback.