Cheshire East public transport news and notices
Last updated 13 June 2019:
Bus services must be registered with between 42 and 70 days notice, although registrations may be granted at short notice. GOV.UK has more information about running local bus services and penalties for poor service.
In the UK bus routes are required to be registered under the Transport Act 1985. You can find details of registered routes at:
Bus operators and complaints
Contact the operator for further information regarding individual services and fare information:
Cheshire East Flexible Transport Service
From August 2019, Transport Service Solutions (TSS) will take over the running of Cheshire East Council’s flexible transport operation, currently known as Little Bus. The new service will continue to operate across the borough and will ensure support for residents who are disabled, over the age of 80, or who live beyond the reach of any other public transport.
The core hours of the new flexible transport service will be between 9:30am and 14:30pm on weekdays, a strong preference expressed during recent public consultations. This change will allow the service to be combined with the current school transport operations of TSS, allowing both services to be delivered more cost effectively and safeguarding the future of the flexible transport service.
More information about the new arrangements for the flexible transport service will be available shortly.
The current "Little Bus" service will continue to be run by D&G Bus until August and discussions are currently taking place regarding staff who will be offered the opportunity to transfer to Transport Service Solutions.
Concessionary bus pass scheme – update regarding new system 23/04/19:
We have been issuing new passes to passengers who hold either an older persons or disabled persons pass since 5 November and all passengers should now have received their new passes.
Most on-bus ticket machines (ETMs) will accept the new passes, however some operators haven't updated the data on all their ticket machines yet and in some areas the new passes will not scan.
We have been working with these bus operators to speed up the updates and their drivers have been instructed to allow passengers to travel as long as they have a valid and legible pass while the software updates are processed as per the scheme terms and conditions.
The changes have been made to save money and speed up pass issue. Cheshire East Council now manages its own Concessionary Bus Pass Scheme. In order to change to this new system, it has been necessary to replace all current passes. Even after we have replaced all the passes, we will still make savings year on year.
Cheshire East passes are no longer valid for journeys into Wales.
The new passes can be identified by a black Cheshire East Council logo.
Bus service changes in date order
You can order Cheshire East bus timetables to your home address or pick one up from Cheshire East libraries.
Christmas service changes 23 December 2019 to 2 January 2020
- There will be changes to most bus services over the Christmas and New Year period with early finishes and Saturday / Sunday timetables in operation on some days. Please check with the bus operators for full details (contact details above).
August Bank Holiday Monday 26 August 2019
- Services are subject to change with a Sunday / BH service in operation on some routes. Please contact the operator for exact details.
Friday 5 July 2019 Woodford Road, Poynton closure
- Woodford Road, Poynton will be closed from the 5 July for six weeks to allow for essential maintenance to be carried out on the railway bridge. During this time services 391 and 392 will not be able to serve the area and will be diverted via the A555 and Dean Lane. Chester Road and Poynton Station will continue to be served. Passengers should be aware of possible delays to journeys.
Sunday 30 June 2019 - service 8
- Roadworks will affect D&G Bus service 8 from 29 October 2018 to the end of June 2019. The service will be split into three separate routes to minimise disruption that may occur while Sydney Road railway bridge is rebuilt.
Monday 24 June 2019 - service 88
- Roadworks will affect D&G service 88 on 24 June 2019: Buses will be unable to serve Chestergate in Macclesfield.
Saturday 22 June 2019
- The D&G Tesco Crewe free bus will not run after 22 June 2019. D&G regret that funding for this service has been withdrawn by Tesco.
Cheshire Show Tuesday 18 and Wednesday 19 June 2019
27 May to 14 June 2019 - service 88
- Roadworks will affect D&G service 88 from 27 May to 14 June 2019: Buses will be unable to serve Cumber Lane or the western section of Moor Lane in Wilmslow.
Road closures, gritting and disruption information
You can view all the roadworks and road closures in East Cheshire on the Cheshire East highways roadworks page.
Passengers and commuters are recommended to follow Cheshire East Highway's Twitter account to receive the latest information on Highway and Transport issues for East Cheshire:
You can also track your bus in real time with the operators listed below
During severe weather passengers and drivers are advised to check the weather forecast for Cheshire or visit the Met Office website for details of the latest weather forecast and weather warnings so they can make an informed decision before travelling.
Passengers can find bus stop timetable displays at over 1231 bus stops in Cheshire East. Where possible we try to update the bus stop displays the day before a service change; although this can be a few days either side on occasion. Each display has a date at the top to show when it was last updated.
Across Cheshire East 648 stops have raised kerbs installed to make boarding and alighting easier for disabled passengers and passengers with pushchairs.
Please report any errors / queries using the Bus stop infrastructure and timetable display reporting form or phone 0300 123 5500 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 16:00).
Public transport is now provided by Transport Service Solutions (TSS) - a company owned and controlled by Cheshire East Council.