Site LPS 18: Land between Chelford Road and Whirley Road, Macclesfield
The development of land off Chelford Road and Whirley Road over the Local Plan Strategy period will be achieved through:
- The delivery of around 150 new dwellings;
- Provision of public open space and green linkages to existing footpaths and rights of way;
- The incorporation of natural features such as trees, the existing pond and landform features into any development proposal;
- Creating a readily recognisable Green Belt boundary, that will endure in the long term, along the western edge by tree planting and landscaping along the existing hedge line extending north-eastwards to the existing pond;
- Pedestrian and cycle links to new and existing residential areas, shops, schools and health facilities; and
- On site provision, or where appropriate, relevant contributions towards highways and transport, education, health, open space and community facilities.
Site Specific Principles of Development
- The development would be expected to contribute towards off-site road infrastructure improvements in the central, western and southern/south western Macclesfield area.
- The Local Plan Strategy site is expected to provide affordable housing in line with the policy requirements set out in Policy SC 5 'Affordable Homes'.
- The line of the existing sewer should be protected.
- The site should be developed so as to facilitate any junction improvements that may be necessary for a future road link between Chelford Road and Congleton Road.
Provision of sufficient areas of open space to the south and east of Hollyhedge Farmhouse to maintain its open rural setting;Provision of a substantial landscaped edge to the south/south east of the development parcel immediately to the south of the railway line (on the opposite side of Main Road to Hollyhedge Farm). This should combine a mix of copse and individual tree planting contained by a new native hedgerow. At the point nearest Hollyhedge Farm in the south eastern corner, a copse should be created. It should include woodland planting on the western edge of the parcel, tying in with the woodland buffer of the Basford East site; Provision of open space and appropriate parkland landscaping alongside the access/drive and to the south of Crewe Hall Farmhouse and associated barnProvision of an area of greenspace to the east of Stowford hamlet, retaining the existing pond, trees and other positive planting as a key space within the development;
15.243 Located to the west of Macclesfield, the site is well connected to the exiting urban edge of the settlement.
15.244 Through delivery of around 150 new homes the site will contribute to meeting the housing needs of the borough and the on going regeneration and growth of Macclesfield. The release of Green Belt land in this location has been necessary to enable the provision of sufficient housing land within the plan period but the amount of land released is limited to respect the important area between Macclesfield and Henbury.
15.245 The site comprises agricultural land, with some important natural features including trees, hedgerows and a large pond and marshy areas. However there are no specially identified natural designations within the site and it does not contain any assets of heritage value.
15.246 The incorporation of green infrastructure, pedestrian and cycle links to new and existing residential areas and contributions to wider community needs and infrastructure will create a sustainable development.
15.247 Any replacement and/or new sports provision should be in accordance with an adopted up to date and robust Playing Pitch Strategy and Indoor Sports Strategy and with Policy SC 2 ‘ Indoor and Outdoor Sports Facilities’.
15.248 Land adjacent to this site, south of Chelford Road, is allocated for development which will include the start of a road capable of linking Chelford Road with Congleton Road. A small portion of this site may be required for the construction of a new roundabout to serve this road. The development should be designed to facilitate and accommodate this new junction.
- Policy name: Site LPS 18 'Land between Chelford Road and Whirley Road, Macclesfield'
- Development plan document: Local Plan Strategy (PDF, 26.0MB)
- Date adopted: 27 July 2017
Previous page: Site LPS 17 'Gaw End Lane, Macclesfield' | Cheshire East Local Plan policy index | Next page: Safeguarded Land LPS 19 'South West Macclesfield'