Support for young carers

Young carers are children or young people who care for another person. This may be someone in their family who needs looking after because they have a disability or an illness. It could be a brother or sister or a parent or grandparent.

If this sounds like you, you should not have to do so much caring that it makes you upset, unwell or miss school.

The Care Act 2014 gives young carers more rights to ask for help. Councils must check what help you as a young carer need as soon as we know that you might need help or if you ask us to.

The check is called a ‘Young Carer’s Needs Assessment’.

As well as the care you are giving to someone else, we also consider what you need for your own education or work, health, hobbies or activities.

We will ask you and your parent for your views when we work out what help is needed. We also have to ask anyone else that you or your parent wants us to ask.

When we have finished checking what help you need, we have to decide what help we should be giving. This could involve giving help to the person that you look after, so that you do not have to do so much caring.

There are organisations across Cheshire East who can support you as a young carer.

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?