Blue Badge - parking for people with a disability
Blue Badge holders are able to park closer to their destination either as the driver or passenger. Blue Badge is a national scheme that is open to individuals who qualify and organisations that care for those individuals. There is a £10 fee for a new, renewal or replacement Blue Badge. You can get your Blue Badge photo for free at the library.
We strongly recommend that you only apply for a Blue Badge from here or another .gov.uk website. Other sources may cost more and may be fraudulent.
Qualifying for a Blue Badge in Cheshire East
You may qualify for a Blue Badge if you live in Cheshire East and:
- you are registered blind or severely sight impaired
- you are in receipt of higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or you meet the moving around descriptor for the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) ‘that you cannot stand or can stand but cannot walk more than 50 metres (this equates to 8 points or more)’
- you are in receipt of War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
- you have been awarded benefit under the Armed forces Compensation scheme and have been assessed and certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA) as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking
- you have a permanent and substantial disability (for example a condition that is likely to last for the duration of a person’s life) that means you cannot walk, or means you have very considerable difficulty walking
- you have very severe disabilities in both arms and regularly drive a vehicle but cannot operate or have considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meter
- your child under 3 years of age has a condition that requires bulky or heavy medical equipment or requires immediate access to a vehicle for treatment
Attendance Allowance is not a qualifying criteria for a Blue Badge.
You may need to have a further assessment if you do not appear to meet the qualification criteria.
Organisations that care for and transport people who meet the Blue Badge qualifying criteria may apply for one or more Organisational Blue Badges.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge
You can apply for a Blue Badge as an individual or as an organisation. You can use the same form to apply on behalf of someone else with their permission.
You can renew your Blue Badge up to 8 weeks before your existing badge expires.
Please allow 10 working days for us to process your application.
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge for an individual
Apply for or renew a Blue Badge for an organisation
Progress a Blue Badge application
If you have already submitted an application for a new badge or for a renewal, you can pay for it, upload supporting evidence and book an Independent Mobility Assessment (IMA) online. You should have your application case reference number ready.
Pay for a Blue Badge
Upload supporting evidence
Book an IMA appointment
You can apply for a replacement badge if:
- your badge has been damaged
- your badge has been lost or stolen
- your badge has not been received
Apply for a replacement badge
You can ask us to reconsider your application if we have said you are not eligible for a Blue Badge. View our Appeal Policy and Procedure (PDF, 81KB).
You can expect the appeal process to take up to 6 weeks.
Appeal a Blue Badge decision
Blue Badge costs
Applying for a Blue Badge on our website or using GOV.UK is free, if you are eligible there is a £10 fee for a Blue Badge. You may be charged if you make a Blue Badge application using another website. You can have your Blue Badge photo taken for free at the library.
How long is your badge valid
A Blue Badge is valid for 3 years.
If your Blue Badge is linked to higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement or Personal Independence Payment, your badge will be valid for the period that you are in receipt of that allowance (if that period is less than 3 years).
If you have a Blue Badge because your child has a condition which means they need close access to medical equipment or a vehicle to be taken for treatment quickly and is under 3 years old, the badge will be valid until the day immediately following their 3rd birthday.
Where you can use your Blue Badge
With a Blue Badge you can park in designated disabled parking bays.
In many car parks in Cheshire East drivers with a valid badge can park free in any other marked bay if the designated spaces are full. All vehicles must park in a marked bay and no parking is allowed on any yellow lines or hatched areas within the car parks. The Blue Badge doesn’t automatically apply to off-street car parks or on private roads check signs on private car parks and private roads for their policy for Blue Badge holders.
Parking charges and time limits don’t apply to Blue Badge holders on all Cheshire East Council Pay and Display car parks when a valid badge is correctly displayed.
Blue Badges may be used within the European Union, although rules for use vary in different member states. Further information about using a Blue Badge in the EU can be found on the GOV.UK website.
More information on the use of a Blue Badge is available in the Department for Transport booklet - The Blue Badge scheme booklet: rights and responsibilities in England (PDF, 1.57MB).
If you have found a Blue Badge you should take it to your Local Library or Customer Service Centre.
We want to provide parking facilities for people with disabilities. We would encourage you to report any misuse of Blue Badges. Badges are strictly for use only by the badge holder. They’re not for use by family or friends for free parking. It's fraud and a criminal offence for someone other than the Blue Badge holder to use the badge.
We gather evidence against drivers who misuse a genuine badge and prosecute individuals who use a stolen, fake or altered Blue Badge.
To report Blue Badge fraud contact the Blue Badge Team.
Any response to you will be sent via secure email using Egress. This is to ensure any personal information is kept secure.
Our staff can help you if you are unable to apply online. Call us on 0300 123 5020.