Report a car park issue 

Car park defects

You can report car park defects such as potholes, lights not working, glass and overgrown hedges to us.

Email our customer contact centre 

Telephone 0300 123 5020.

Ticket machines not working

You do not need to tell us if a ticket machine is not working -  all our machines have a computer link that reports all faults to us immediately.

The pay and display ticket machines do not give change - this isn't a fault.

Parking refunds

You can ask for a refund If you have lost money in a ticket machine or when paying by phone. You cannot ask for a refund for an unused ticket or part of a ticket. If we find there was a fault with the machine or phone system, we will refund the money you lost. We usually make refunds by BACS. 

To process a refund request, we need a copy of the ticket you then bought as evidence that you paid for your parking, and your bank details for the BACS payment.

To ask for a refund, you can email us, come to either of our Macclesfield or Crewe customer service centres or write to us at:

Parking Services
Cheshire East Council
Municipal Buildings
Earle Street

Contact Us

Parking Enquiries - Cheshire East Council

0300 123 5020

Page last reviewed: 27 October 2021