Poynton Relief Road
Poynton Relief Road is being developed by Cheshire East Council, working in partnership with Stockport Council.
A joint planning application for the scheme was submitted on 1 September 2016.
Poynton Relief Road will be a standard single carriageway, approximately 3 kilometres in length. The relief road will also include two overbridge crossings for use by walkers, cyclists and farm vehicles, a 3.5 meter wide combined cycle and footway which will run beside the length of the route in the western verge.
The northern end of the route would connect to a junction with the proposed A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road or A6MARR (which is currently under construction). The route would then pass under the A5149 Chester Road to the west of Poynton and would continue in a southerly direction to cross the Woodford Aerodrome runway.
At the southern end of the scheme, the route would pass to the west of Adlington Business Park before connecting to a new roundabout junction to the west of the Adlington Travel Lodge. Links from this roundabout would allow the relief road to connect into the A523 London Road and Adlington Golf Centre.
A set of scheme objectives have been developed by Cheshire East Council, in partnership with Stockport Council.
These objectives attempted to capture the strategic aspirations of SEMMMS as well as the local aims of the Poynton Relief Road scheme:
- to support the economic, physical and social regeneration of Poynton and the north of the area, in particular Macclesfield
- transfer Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) onto more appropriate roads on the wider network and relieve existing traffic congestion in Poynton
- deliver a range of complementary measures on the A523 corridor to Macclesfield that address Road Safety, Congestion and Mitigation of the wider environmental impact of traffic
- boost business integration and productivity by improving the efficiency and reliability of the highway network, reducing the conflict between local and through traffic, by the improved route for freight and business travel
- allow improvements to the highway network for public transport, walking and cycling
Latest progress update
Poynton relief road - progress update (PDF, 212KB)