All children licensed by a local authority to perform must be supervised at all times by a licensed chaperone or their parent. Chaperones are licensed by the local authority where they live.
Grandparents, other relatives, childminders etc are not legal guardians (unless they are recognised as such by the courts) so they would need to be approved in order to be the chaperone.
Parents, unless they are approved chaperones, cannot be responsible for children other than their own.
Applying to be a chaperone
If you are interested in becoming a chaperone it is essential that you read and understand the guide for chaperones in entertainment (PDF, 900KB) and the chaperones policy (PDF, 250KB).
You then need to download and complete the chaperone's application form (MS Word, 146KB) and email the form with a passport sized photo of yourself to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have submitted your application form you will need a Disclosure and Barring System check. The DBS check is carried out at one of our customer contact centres in Macclesfield Town Hall or Delamere House in Crewe.
For the DBS check you will need:
- to book an appointment by calling 0300 123 5015 (option 3)
- your national insurance number
- a passport sized photo of yourself (if you have not already emailed a copy with the application form)
- payment of £7.00 to become a volunteer or £51 if you wish to be a professional chaperone. Payment can be made by debit /credit card or cheque.
- ID documents use the DBS form document (MS Word, 123KB) to confirm what ID documents will be accepted.
We need a minimum of 3 months in order to process the form and carry out relevant checks.
We will now deliver training online. Once we have received your application form we will email a link and instructions of how to log on.