The Safeguarding Children in Education Settings (SCiES) team is part of Cheshire East’s Education Participation and Pupil Support team. SCiES support Schools (including Academies and Independent schools) and Early Years settings to fulfil their statutory and non-statutory safeguarding obligations.
We offer a variety of training to schools and their Designated Safeguarding Leads which aim to give the skills and knowledge to ensure their settings have secure and positive safeguarding culture, ethos and practices.
The training chart below demonstrates the level of training that staff members need.
You can book on to and view our training courses via Chess Hub.
What we deliver
The SCiES team deliver a comprehensive, accredited, training and development programme for all those who come into contact with children and families in their everyday work in schools and settings. Through this they aim to inform and empower individuals to take the right steps in order to safeguard children.
Details and information of all our training for this academic year are available for you to view in our 2019-2020 training brochure.
We also deliver the mandatory 3 yearly Whole School Basic Awareness training as well as Bespoke training courses for whole schools or groups of staff on areas such as CSE , Bullying Prevention, Neglect, HSB and others. Please contact the SCiES Team directly to discuss your requirements further.
The team provide safeguarding support and guidance; again the intention is not to do things to or for schools and settings but to empower members of staff to do these things; building capacity in each and every school and setting.
Activities undertaken by SCiES include the following:
- Safeguarding audits/reviews informing policy and practice
- Termly Designated Lead meetings to update Designated Safeguarding Leads with the latest guidance and legislation and share practical ideas and suggestions to support them in their complex role
- Bespoke training around the Voice of the Child, record keeping, bullying, domestic abuse, radicalisation, neglect and CSE
- Responding to notifications of safeguarding concerns raised by Ofsted/parents/others
- Co-ordination of education information for Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs) which take place around families where there is domestic abuse
- Co-ordination of education information for Channel Panels: those at risk from radicalisation
- Co-ordination of education information for the Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) operational group
- Support with Risk Management and Support plans around sexualised behaviours
- Supervision for Designated Safeguarding Leads in schools
- Support for schools to set up children’s safeguarding groups and ongoing support for existing groups, including creating safeguarding newsletters for the groups
- Writing model safeguarding policies for schools and settings to adapt and adopt
Reservation & Cancellation Policy
Cancellations made less than 2 weeks in advance of the day of training are subject to 100% charge.