New and efficient vehicles
Fuel consumption can contribute up to a quarter of a fleet’s total costs. More fuel efficient vehicles, although possibly more costly to buy initially, are cheaper to run long term, once fuel use and maintenance are taken into account.
Fuel management reports
Monitoring how much fuel your fleet vehicles consume can help you to identify poorly performing vehicles and less efficient driving techniques. Monitoring will provide you with a benchmark from which to assess improvements whilst raising staff awareness of the environmental impacts associated with poor fuel efficiency. You could introduce a monitoring system based on fuel cards or mileage recorders, thus providing comprehensive reporting on miles per gallon at little extra cost.
If your business makes or receives a lot of deliveries, you could try to ensure that these are as efficient and environmentally sustainable as possible, by:
- Rationalising and/or centralising deliveries so that fewer trips are made
- Encouraging the use of local suppliers in order to reduce the distance that the goods travel
- Using suppliers who operate cleaner vehicles, and/or ensure that their drivers undertake driving efficiency training
- Organising deliveries to be received outside of peak hours, thus reducing congestion
- Encouraging the use of email and fax to exchange information