School transport and home to school travel
Covid 19 measures
We are making journeys to and from school as safe as possible. We (and the operators we work with) have put in place the measures recommended by the government to protect all those choosing to use school transport if they cannot walk, cycle or travel by car.
Pupils must not go to school if they or anyone in their households are showing any symptoms of Covid-19:
- a high temperature
- new, continuous cough
- a loss of, or change to, their sense of smell or taste;
Affected households must stay at home and get a test.
Extra school bus services during Covid-19
As required by the Department for Transport, we have arranged extra bus services for students who are not eligible for free school transport as many of these would normally travel to school on public buses. The extra buses are following the regular public bus services.
- the ‘shadow’ buses are clearly marked ‘School Bus’.
- pupils must not board the first bus (which will be numbered as usual) - they must only travel with others in their year group or ‘transport bubble’ on the dedicated school bus
- signs are in place at bus stops along the route to school to explain the new arrangements
- pupils will pay their usual bus fare – please make sure they have either the correct fare or a contactless payment card
Routes and services with extra dedicated school buses
additional dedicated school transport
|Service number || Route|
|4S (PDF, 122KB)
||Macclesfield – Upton Priory
|19S (PDF, 112KB)
||Macclesfield - Prestbury
|37S (PDF, 124KB)
||Northwich – Middlewich – Sandbach – Crewe (both ways)
|38S (PDF, 115KB)
||Macclesfield – Congleton - Crewe
|42S (PDF, 120KB)
||Congleton – Holmes Chapel – Middlewich – Crewe (just the Middlewich to Holmes Chapel part of the route)
|61S (PDF, 112KB)
||Audlem – Brine Leas School
|84S (PDF, 164KB)
||Crewe – Nantwich - Chester
|88S (PDF, 117kb)
||Wilmslow - Knutsford
|317S (PDF, 172KB)
||Alsager – Sandbach – Leighton Hospital
|836S (PDF, 167KB)
||Sydney – Shavington Academy
Guidance for parents and young people
- we will not provide travel assistance from alternative addresses where families choose to self-isolate at an address other than their normal residence
- pupils aged 11 and over must wear a face covering on public transport and also on dedicated school transport (unless exempt)
- pupils travelling by train must wear face coverings (unless exempt), observe social distancing, and remain aware of others at all times.
Full guidance (updated from January 2021 version)
For details of all the safety measures being taken to provide safe transport, see:
Protocol for transport arrangements (PDF, 167KB)
Operators generic guidance to risk assessments (PDF, 237KB)
We are working to the following principles for travel to school from September 2020 (PDF, 159KB)
Contacting Transport Service Solutions
We are receiving an unprecedented volume of enquiries due to the changes in home to school transport travel arrangements and our team are working through these queries. To help us respond as quickly as possible, contact us by email only using the relevant email address below. All emails will be responded to as soon as possible.
Types of school transport available
Most school transport is organised by private bus companies. See school bus timetables for details.
As the local authority, we only organise transport for children who are eligible for free or subsidised school travel. Arrangements are made through our partner travel company, Transport Service Solutions (TSS).
Behaviour code on school transport
We work closely with schools and operators to encourage a good standard of behaviour and respect on school transport. Any bad behaviour or rule-breaking on the journey to and from school will be treated seriously and could result in your child being temporarily or permanently banned from travelling.
For full details, see our Educational travel behaviour code.
Complaints about school travel
We are committed to providing a high standard of service but there may be times when your child experiences problems with the transport we provide. You can report problems or concerns by email to email@example.com. We will investigate the issue and take the appropriate course of action.
See Appeals and complaints for full details.