Frequently Asked Questions-Transport

Transport for Students Aged 16-19

My child is attending a sixth form or college, are they entitled to assistance with transport?

The Council no longer has a fund to assist with transport support for post 16 students (sixth form or college).  Parents / carers should contact their child's school or college directly to enquire about how they may be able to help.

How can I find out about commercial bus services on which, a daily fare can be paid?

For further information please view our Public Transport Homepage or telephone the Traveline on 0871 200 22 33 open 7 days a week 8am to 8pm.

Can I apply for a spare seat on the school bus?

There is no obligation for the Council to arrange travel for pupils who are not entitled under the Home to School Transport Policy. However, consideration can be given to the sale of surplus capacity seats on school transport routes in order to offer a service to families who may wish to make use of this scheme. Spare Seats can only be offered on routes with spare capacity (after eligible pupils have been allocated) and where there are no other public transport services on which your child could pay a daily / termly fare.

If your child is attending a school sixth form (spare seats are not available to colleges) and you wish for them to be considered for a spare seat, you can make an online school transport application or call us on 0300 123 5012. We will then add your child to the waiting list and if there are spare seats available on the route, we will write to you to request payment.

Spare Seats are prioritised into 3 categories:

  • Category 1 is reserved for pupils allocated a spare seat in the previous academic year (this category is given first priority)
  • Category 2 is for Cheshire East resident pupils who are applying for a spare seat for the first time
  • Category 3 is for non-Cheshire East resident pupils (this category is given a lower priority)

For 2017/18, the spare seat charge is £920. Charges are per pupil per year and payment can be made either termly or half-termly. Reminder letters will be sent to you when each payment is due and payment can be made online at School Transport Online Payments or by calling 0300 123 5012.  Please note that pupils will not be permitted to travel unless they are in possession of a valid bus pass.

How is poor behaviour managed on school buses?

Transport Service Solutions works closely with schools and operators to encourage a good standard of behaviour and respect from students. Any bad behaviour or rule-breaking on the journey to and from school will be treated seriously and could result in a temporary or permanent ban from travelling. Smoking is illegal in public places and this includes all school, local bus and rail services. Any students found to be smoking will receive an immediate transport ban.

Can I apply for special needs transport?

For further information please contact the Assessment and Monitoring Team by calling 01625 378042.

Can I appeal for transport?

As the Council no longer provides transport assistance to post 16 students, any complaints or appeals for support should be directed to the individual school or college.

In certain circumstances, parents, carers and students may appeal against the decision of the local authority in relation to transport for Post 16 students who are subject to a 139A Learning Difficulty Assessment. Appeals should be lodged through the Cheshire East Transport Service in line with the published Appeals Procedure (MS Word, 169KB)

Who can I contact if there are problems with the bus service, or I have a complaint?

Transport Service Solutions is committed to providing a high level of service. However, there may be times when you/your child experience problems with the bus or rail service allocated. In the event of a problem arising or if you have any concerns, you can report them to us by emailing or by calling us on 0300 123 5012. We will then investigate the problem and take appropriate action.

If you have a complaint or are dissatisfied in the way you have been treated by a member of staff, please write directly to the General Manager, Transport Service Solutions, Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW1 2BJ. Any complaints will be investigated and a response will be sent to you within 10 working days.

Contact us

0300 123 5020

Monday to Friday 8:30 to 17:00

Postal Address only:

Transport Service Solutions
Cledford Lane
CW10 0JN

For Bus and Train times call Traveline 0871 200 22 33 calls cost 12p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.

The English Traveline call centre opening hours are 7am to 10pm most days. You can find full details on Traveline's website.

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?