New safety guidance when travelling
- From 15 June 2020 you must wear a face covering unless you are exempt - if you do not you may be refused travel or fined. Exemptions include young children, people with disabilities and those with breathing difficulties
- From 24 July 2020 you must wear a face covering in enclosed public spaces including bus stations
- Keep social distancing while waiting for the bus
- Allow other passengers to exit the bus before attempting to board
- Follow any instructions issued by the bus operator while travelling
- Use contactless payment where possible
- Wash your hands or use sanitiser before and after travelling.
Travelling Safely on FlexiLink
Cheshire East Council's demand-responsive FlexiLink service will restart on 3 August 2020. See specific guidance for using the FlexiLink service during the pandemic.
Bus pass applications and replacements
From 1 July 2020, eligible Cheshire East residents can apply for an older person’s or disabled person’s bus pass via the new Cheshire East Bus Pass Portal. You can also use the portal to replace lost or damaged cards (£10 fee applies).
Libraries started a phased reopening from 6 July. Please contact the relevant Library to confirm they are open as you will now need to book an appointment for any bus pass related enquiries. Information can be found at Cheshire East Council Libraries. Please note the Customer Centres at Macclesfield Town Hall and Delamere House remain closed until further notice.
Bus passes revert to normal usage
From 1 July, free concessionary bus travel reverted to only being available after 9.30am but the half-fare concessionary travel before 9.30 will continue. These restrictions had previously been lifted during the lockdown period to enable older and vulnerable residents to access key services. As the new phase of measures, introduced by government, could see an increase in passenger demand at peak times, the council is falling in line with neighbouring authorities to avoid any confusion where travel on cross-boundary services is concerned.
Changes to bus timetables – check before you travel
Bus operators may need to change bus services at short notice. You should check on the bus operators’ websites for details about individual bus services. Operators' contact details are on our bus service changes page.
There are number of shopmobility services that operate within the Cheshire East Borough. These services closed due to Covid-19/coronavirus but are now beginning to reopen and notify their customers.
Changes have been made to these services to enable them to operate safely during the ongoing pandemic; contact the service you wish to use for the most up-to-date information.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 virus pandemic and Government instructions for people to work from home and self-isolate, some of our services continue to be reduced or suspended. We are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause and we look forward to reintroducing services as soon as it is safe to do so.