Policy MP 1: Presumption in Favour of Sustainable Development
- When considering development proposals the council will take a positive approach that reflects the presumption in favour of sustainable development contained in the National Planning Policy Framework. It will always work proactively with applicants to find joint solutions which mean that proposals can be approved wherever possible, and to secure development that improves the economic, social and environmental conditions in the area.
- Planning applications that accord with the policies in the Development Plan (and, where relevant, with policies in Neighbourhood Plans) will be approved without delay, unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
- Where there are no policies relevant to the application or relevant policies are out of date at the time of making the decision, the council will grant permission, unless material considerations indicate otherwise, taking into account whether:
- Any adverse impacts of granting permission would significantly and demonstrably outweigh the benefits, when assessed against the policies in the National Planning Policy Framework taken as a whole; or
- Specific policies in that Framework indicate that development should be restricted.
7.6 The National Planning Policy Framework contains a Presumption in Favour of Sustainable Development. This presumption is considered to be the golden thread running through both plan making and decision taking. The Local Plan Strategy is the principal planning policy document for the Cheshire East Local Plan (the Development Plan) and therefore reflects the National Planning Policy Framework in making clear that development which is considered sustainable will be approved without delay.
7.7 Policy MP 1 makes sure that the Local Plan Strategy is based upon the Presumption in Favour of Sustainable Development, as required by the National Planning Policy Framework. The policies in the Local Plan Strategy provide clear guidance on how the Presumption in Favour of Sustainable Development will be applied locally.
7.8 The Local Plan Strategy policies will be supplemented by the Saved Local Plan Policies (in accordance with their consistency with the National Planning Policy Framework) until they are replaced by policies in the Site Allocations and Development Policies Document and the Minerals and Waste Development Plan Document. Should Neighbourhood Plans be produced in the borough (in conformity with the contents of the Local Plan Strategy) then their policies will also be relevant.
7.9 Further policies setting out how sustainable development principles will be applied in Cheshire East are included in Chapter 9 'Planning for Sustainable Development'.
- National Planning Policy Framework
Cheshire East Local Plan policy index | Next page: Policy PG 1 'Overall development strategy'