About Local Land Charges

Ownership of a plot of land or property

You can find out who owns land and property at Land Registry  phone 0151 472 6666
The Council does not hold records about land ownership in general.

Our Assets and Facilities team can tell you if land is owned by the Council. You can email them  property@cheshireeast.gov.uk.

My solicitor has not received my search

Your solicitor should have submitted an official Local Authority Search request and payment direct to the Council. Check whether they have.

Your search will be processed in date order and in line with the current turnaround. You can track your search using our search facility to check on its progress at where is my search.

Your solicitor may have requested a number of additional questions so your search may take longer to complete as responses will be required from other Council departments.

Your solicitor may ask another company or third party to deal with your search. This third party may decide to complete the search report themselves with information they have access to under Freedom of Information FOI / EIR .  The Council is unable to comment on how long this will take or assist in resolving any subsequent enquiries you may have if a third party is completing the search.

Obtaining a copy of the agreement shown on my search

Local Land Charges Section maintains the register, but doesn't always have copies of the original document. Contact the relevant originating department shown on the search for that entry.

Contact legal section viabsuadmin@cheshireeast.gov.uk for copies of s106 and s52 Agreements pertaining to the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. 

A TPO Tree Preservation Order is shown on my search

A Tree Preservation Order prohibits the cutting down, lopping , uprooting, wilful damage or wilful destruction of designated protected trees, groups, woodlands unless written permission has been given by the LPA .

Copies of TPOs

You can request a copy of a TPO at a cost of £55 (including VAT) or £5.50 for one extract:

  • By Credit Card over the phone on 0300 123 5014
  • By e-mail to planning@cheshireeast.gov.uk . The e-mail must include ‘Request for a copy of a TPO ’ in the subject line, details of the exact location/address of the trees or the title of the Tree Preservation Order if known and a contact telephone number in order that we can contact you and arrange for payment.
  • By post to Civicance,  Planning Support, PO Box 606, Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, CW1 9HP. Details of the exact location/address of the trees or the title of the Tree Preservation Order if known must be provided together with a cheque made payable to Cheshire East Council.

A listed building has shown on my search

See heritage and listed buildings for more information

What else you can find out if moving into Cheshire East

Contact us

Land Charges
Cheshire East Council


01270 686787
DX no: 725221 Crewe 8

Municipal Buildings
Earle Street


Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?