Electrical requirements

Part P Competent Persons Register

It is the responsibility of the owner of the property to arrange a certificate to show compliance with Approved Document P at completion of the work from 1 January 2005, people carrying out electrical work in homes and gardens in England and Wales will have to follow the new rules in the Building Regulations.

The easiest way for a property owner to comply with the new legislation is to employ a registered installer who is also a member of the new building trades Quality Schemes which will be launched in 2005. The Quality Scheme members will offer consumers more protection than the minimum protection registered installers must offer.

In addition there are further advantages to the homeowner in employing a registered installer with the competent persons scheme: 

  • Members of schemes can deal with all the new rules for you
  • Members are qualified to carry out electrical work
  • Members will give you a certificate to confirm their work follows the new rules
  • You will NOT have to pay Building Control charges
  • You will have the option of taking out an insurance backed guarantee for the work
  • You will have access to a formal complaints procedure if you are not happy with the work

If it is the intention not to use a registered installer an application for Building Regulation approval will need to be obtained. The cost of the application will be based on the cost of work. The Building Control section must be advised at the first fix stage so that an inspection can take place.

This will consist of a visual check for cable sizing and routing. A second inspection will then be made at completion of the work. It must be remembered that the Local Authority, as a further check of compliance, will still require a certificate.

This extra check will be in the form of a Periodical Inspection Report (PIR) and is carried out by a member of one of the electrical authorising bodies, which must be arranged by the property owner. A charge will be made by whichever approved body is chosen. This charge is in addition to the fee for a Building Regulation application.

What will happen if I do not have an approved installer to do the work or apply for Building Regulation Approval?

  • The reason for the legislation being introduced is to decrease the number of deaths, injuries and fires caused by faulty installation
  • To make it harder for “cowboy builders” leaving unsafe installation
  • You may have difficulty selling your home if you do not have the correct safety certificates
  • Your local authority completion certificate may be withheld until you put right faulty work. Contravention procedures to rectify the faults may result in action through the Magistrate Court

NB To all agents: All applications must include the wording 'All electrical work required to meet the requirements of Part P (Electrical Safety) must be designed, installed, inspected and tested by a person competent to do so. Prior to completion the Council should be satisfied that Part P has been complied with. This may require an appropriate BS 7671 electrical installation certificate to be issued for the work by a person competent to do so.