Choosing a builder
Are you considering having any work done to your property, do you need a builder. This is one of the biggest investments you are likely to make, so thoroughly check out any builder before employing his services.
For smaller projects
If you don’t require a professional, get advice from someone in the industry that you know and trust.
For large projects
- consider employing a professional to help you
- discuss the extent of your arrangement with your professional
- does it involve the preparation of plans only
- is site supervision part of the package?
- always obtain quotations (at least 3) and have them checked
- don’t automatically go for the cheapest quote
Ask the builder
- where they have worked before
- Ask if they are happy for you to see their work
- have you experience in the particular project I intend to carry out
- would you want to be paid, on completion or in stages
- can you supply references from satisfied clients
- are you happy to accept a retention clause
- will you give me a final completion date
- will you accept a penalty clause on failure to complete in time
- will you agree to independent arbitration should we have any dispute
Reassure yourself by checking out the builder’s work, references and other aspects such as work habits, with previous clients.
Ask questions now - don’t wait until it’s too late!
Be safe . . . Be sure . . . Not sorry !