Live Well Cheshire East home page
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) support
Cheshire East Council’s ‘Starting a Business’ webpage has a wide range of general support and advice for starting a new business.
HM Revenue & Customs has developed a range of useful tools to help new businesses understand tax and National insurance responsibilities. They have also produced a free e-learning course called ‘ Starting in Business’ which explains and guides you through everything you need to know to get started in business.
The HMRC have launched a new online tutorial which has been especially designed to support anyone thinking about Becoming an Employer and will take you through everything you need to help start up your business.
HMRC On-Line support
Self-employment Live:This webinar is aimed at sole traders and self-employed partnerships. The webinar contains short presentations on topics affecting small businesses, including business expenses and Self-Assessment tax return. Book self-employment live here
Cash basis for the self-employed:This webinar will explain the Cash Basis scheme, available for the self-employed, which is designed to make tax simpler for sole traders and business partnerships. It’s not suitable for limited liability partnerships or limited companies. Book a place on the Cash basis for the self employed webinar
- Statutory Sick Pay: We’ll take you through the qualifying conditions, explain key terminology such as Periods of Incapacity for Work, Waiting Days and how much to pay. More about the Statutory Sick pay webinar
- Statutory Payments for Births: Find out if an employee qualifies, how much they’re entitled to and how much you can claim back. Book a place on the Statutory Payments for Births webinar
- Business Expenses for the self-employed: Find out about typical expenses including working from home and motoring expenses. Book a place on the Business Expenses for the self-employed webinar
- Record Keeping for the self-employed: Discover what records to keep, how to set up a system and how long to keep them for. Book record keeping for the self employed here.
- Car Expenses and the self-employed: This webinar will advise members on how to use the simplified expenses method, as well as the actual costs method (including capital allowances) and also covers leasing a car and personal contract purchases. Book car expenses and the self employed here.
- VAT and Motoring Expenses: This webinar will explain how to avoid common errors with VAT motoring expenses and provide a reminder of the general rules that apply when reclaiming VAT on the purchase of cars and when hiring and leasing vehicles. Book a place on the VAT and Motoring expenses webinar
- VAT – an introduction: In this live, interactive webinar, you’ll discover how VAT works. Learn about the basics of VAT – including registering, rates of VAT, your online return and more. Book a place on the Value Added Tax webinar.
HMRC video guides
HMRC guides and tools
- Self-employment and HMRC - getting started: How to tell HMRC you’re self-employed, what National Insurance you’ll pay, how to keep records and budget for your first tax bill. Book 'self-employment' via HMRC here
- Business Expenses for the self-employed: Do your members know which business expenses are allowable? Find out about typical allowable expenses including working from home and motoring expenses. Book 'Business expenses' via HMRC here
- Record Keeping for the self-employed: How to keep records, set up a records system and how long to keep records. Book 'record keeping' via HMRC here
- Cash Basis for the self-employed: This webinar will explain the Cash Basis scheme, which is available for the self-employed. The scheme is designed to make tax simpler for sole traders and business partnerships. It’s not suitable for limited liability partnerships or limited companies. Book 'Cash basis' via HMRC here
- Capital Allowances for the self-employed: How to claim tax relief when buying or improving things, for example; vehicles or equipment that you need for your business. Book 'Capital allowances' via HMRC here