Live Well Cheshire East home page
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) support
Cheshire East Council’s ‘Starting a Business’ webpage has a wide range of general support and advice for starting a new business.
HM Revenue and Customs has developed a range of useful tools to help new businesses understand tax and National insurance responsibilities. They have also produced a free e-learning course called ‘ Starting in Business’ which explains and guides you through everything you need to know to get started in business.
The HMRC have launched a new online tutorial which has been especially designed to support anyone thinking about Becoming an Employer and will take you through everything you need to help start up your business.
HMRC On-Line support
Self-employment: This webinar is aimed at sole traders and self-employed partnerships. This Webinar contains an overview of self-employment and HMRC which looks at records, business expenses and more. We will show you the help available from HMRC.
Cash basis for the self-employed: This video will explain the Cash Basis scheme, available the self-employed, which is designed to make tax simpler for sole traders and business partnerships. It’s not suitable for limited liability partnerships or limited companies. Watch the Cash basis for the self employed video.
- Statutory Sick Pay: We’ll take you through the qualifying conditions, explain key terminology such as Periods of Incapacity for Work, Waiting Days and how much to pay. More about the Statutory Sick pay webinar
- Statutory Payments for Births: Find out if an employee qualifies, how much they’re entitled to and how much you can claim back. Book a place on the Statutory Payments for Births webinar
- Business Getting the Expenses for the self-employed: Find out about typical expenses including working from home and motoring expenses. Book a place on the Business Expenses for the self-employed webinar
- Record Keeping for the self-employed: Discover what records to keep, how to set up a system and how long to keep them for. Book record keeping for the self employed here.
- Car Expenses and the self-employed: This webinar will advise members on how to use the simplified expenses method, as well as the actual costs method (including capital allowances) and also covers leasing a car and personal contract purchases. Book car expenses and the self employed here.
- VAT and Motoring Expenses: This webinar will explain how to avoid common errors with VAT motoring expenses and provide a reminder of the general rules that apply when reclaiming VAT on the purchase of cars and when hiring and leasing vehicles. Book a place on the VAT and Motoring expenses webinar
HMRC video guides
HMRC guides and tools
- Business Expenses for the self-employed: Do your members know which business expenses are allowable? Find out about typical allowable expenses including working from home and motoring expenses. Book 'Business expenses' via HMRC here