Local and Community History Week
Pop in during the week beginning Monday 21 May and view our display, Images of Old Crewe, including photos, maps and a rolling display of images from the recent Minecraft project to recreate old Crewe.
Spring Bank Holiday opening hours
Please note that the library will be closed on Monday 28 May for the spring bank holiday.
Wavemaker mobile laboratory
On Wednesday 30 May the Wavemaker mobile laboratory will be outside the library to celebrate the launch of Make SHIFT Crewe. Young makers will be able to try the following activities:
- Electronic orchestra - Using our Makey Makey devices, we’ll demonstrate and discuss simple circuits and the differences between parallel and serial circuit design and functions, as well as switches. Participants will be able to create their own circuits to create their choice of music. Play a music masterpiece with fruit and play-doh!
- Robot Coding challenge - This showcase will be a hands on introduction on what we need programming for and why it is an important skill for the future. Participants will get to programme, control and navigate a spherical robot through a maze / set course. Prize for the quickest time!
- Intro to 3D Printing and Manufacture - This fun and engaging session focuses on 3D Design, printing and manufacture. A discussion and demonstration on current and future technologies will be followed by a chance for learners to get hands on with 3D design software and techniques. Using the Wavemaker iPads pre loaded with 3D design apps and software participants will get a have a play and create some unique 3D pieces.
Watch out for the full programme of the Wavemaker van across Crewe over the summer to be announced soon!
Amazed by Science Festival
We are hosting a series of free interactive workshops during the school holidays, celebrating everything that's cool about science, technology, engineering and maths. The Amazed by Science Festival will include exciting hands-on activities brought to you by SP Energy Networks, Mad Science! and Science Made Simple.
- Wednesday 30 May at 12.00-3.00pm, Mad Science drop-in session. make slime or try a bicycle powered plasma ball
- Thursday 31 May, Keep Calm! I'm and Engineer. Rebuild the world with Science Made Simple. Workshops at 11.00am for ages 5-9 years and at 2.00pm for ages 10 and over. Please book a place in advance
- Friday 1 June at 12.00-5.00pm, SP Energy drop-in session. Learn about the sparks behind the power of electricity
Learn my Way course
Would you like to learn the basics of using a computer? Perhaps you'd like to know how to search the internet, use email, shop online, or stay safe online. On Thursday 17 May we launched a free Learn my Way course which will run every fortnight on Thursdays at 2.00-4.00pm and Mondays at 10.00-12.00 noon. The next dates are 31 May, and 11 and 14 June.
The course is suitable for beginners or improvers, and staff will be on hand to assist you. You can even sit an exam to gain City and Guilds qualifications that will help when searching for work. Contact the library to book a place.
We have an exciting new project open to children aged 12-17 years. Creative sessions will be taking place on Mondays at 4.00-5.30pm from May to October. The sessions are curated by artists Re:Dock and each week there will be the opportunity to try out different creative arts, crafts and digital technology.
We'd like to establish a core group of young people to meet every week and commit to attending the sessions regularly. The young people in the group will decide which activities to try. These could include:
- Coding robots
- Paper circuits
- Stop motion animation using LEGO
- Design and print a t-shirt
- 3D design and printing
- Record a podcast
The sessions are free to attend, but advance booking is essential. For more information or to sign up contact Tom Appleby on 01270 375295 or email email@example.com.
Volunteers are available on selected weekday for 1:1 basic IT sessions and advice. Get help with your device or learn the basics of getting online. £2.50 per hour. Booking is essential.
Crewe Library on Facebook
Activities at Crewe Library
- IT and Chat - 10.00-12.00 noon - alternate Mondays. Staff and volunteers will be on hand to help with your technology queries. Please contact the library for further information
- Creative Writers Group - 5.30-6.45pm - third Tuesday of each month. £2.00 per session, including refreshments. Please contact Angus at the library for further details
- LEGO Club - 4.00-5.00pm - first Tuesday of the month. Open to all school age children, who must be accompanied by an adult. Free
- Under 5s storytime - 10.00 -10.30am - weekly stories, songs and rhymes. Children must be accompanied by a parent or carer
- Family history help - 2.00-4.00pm - monthly on third Friday of the month. Get help and discover our print and online family history resources with our Local Studies Librarian
- Under 5s rhymetime - 11.00-11.30 - weekly. Children must be accompanied by a parent or carer
Other organisations in this library
HearSay shared reading group
HearSay is a shared reading group for anyone over the age of 16. Listen to stories and poems read aloud and chat over tea and biscuits in a friendly, welcoming environment. The group meets every Thursday at 1.00-2.30pm.
Macmillan Cancer Support
Get free advice and information in the library each Monday between 9.00am and 12.00 noon.
Police Community Support Officer advice desk
Local PCSO, Tracy Burndred, will be in the library every 5th Monday. Just drop in between 10.00 and11.30am to meet her.
If you need support getting back into work then why not join us at Crewe Library every Tuesday between 10.00am and 4.00pm? We have experienced careers advisors on hand to help with CV writing, job application forms, and we can help you with the Universal Job Match website. You can access the latest jobs online and search the local papers for work, or find out how to develop your skills with one of our training courses. There's no need to book; just drop in. We even have free tea and coffee available.
The club is run in conjunction with Congleton Learning Centre, as part of the East Cheshire Work Club Network. Contact Cath on 01260 290 682 or 07580 724 932 for more information.