Alderley Edge Library consultation
In November 2017 Cheshire East Council proposed delivering £0.15m savings from the library service budget as part of its pre-budget consultation process, by closing the three smallest libraries in the borough at Alderley Edge, Disley and Prestbury.
As a result of responses received via an online survey, emails and letters, the proposal to close libraries has been reviewed.
The recommendation is for these libraries to remain open. However, financial pressures upon the Council mean savings still need to be found. It is, therefore, recommended that a saving of £0.046m be achieved by reducing the opening hours from 25 hours to 20 hours per week and revising staffing at both Alderley Edge and Disley libraries, and from an increased grant from the Ann Whittaker trust towards the running of Prestbury Library.
We have used the feedback received as part of the pre-budget consultation process and the 2016 Library Survey to guide us in compiling a new pattern of opening hours, which will:
- provide access over more days than currently
- provide a more memorable pattern of hours
- accommodate the majority of existing activities
It is proposed that from Monday 4 June 2018 Alderley Edge Library opening hours and activities will be:
- Monday - closed
- Tuesday 9.30am-1.30pm. Rhymetime
- Wednesday 9.30am-1.30pm. Babytime (moving from Friday afternoons)
- Thursday 2.00-6.30pm. Reading group
- Friday 9.30-1.30pm. Book lovers
- Saturday 9.00-1.00pm
We welcome your feedback, so please complete a feedback form at the library and post it into the box provided. Please respond by 3 April 2018. Thank you.
Saturday stories and rhymes
Join us on Saturday 17 March at 10.00am for stories and rhymes for under 5s and their families. Just drop in; no need to book.
Explore Learning community workshops
We are hosting two National Young Writers creative workshops on Thursday 12 April. The workshop at 2.30-3.30pm is suitable for ages 6-8 years, and the workshop at 3.45-4.45pm is suitable for ages 8-11 years. Please contact the library for further details and to book a free place.
On Saturday 28 April Councillor Craig Browne will be here at 10.00am.
Ancestry online family history
Would you like to learn how to use Ancestry Library Edition to help trace your family history? You can book a 1:1 session for £3.00; £5.00 with notes. Contact the library for details and to book.
Alderley Edge Library on Facebook
Activities at Alderley Edge Library
- Under 5s rhymetime - 10.00 -10.30am - term time only. Children must be accompanied by a parent or carer
- Reading Group - 5.45 - 6.45pm - monthly. Meets on the third Thursday of the month. £8.00 annual joining fee
- Baby Rhymetime - 2.15-2.45pm - weekly. For babies under 12 months, who are not yet walking, and their carers
- Book Lovers Group - 10.00-11.00am - monthly. Meets on the first Friday of each month. Next date is 6 April on the theme of the Tudors