Landlord Responsibilities

All landlords have responsibilities when renting out a property. If your landlord fails to complete the following procedures, the tenancy may not be valid and they may be unable to serve you notice to leave.

If you feel your landlord isn’t compliant, speak to them directly or contact the Private Sector Liaison Officer on 01625 378207 or email

Tenant fees ban – know your rights 

The Tenant Fees Act came into force in England on Saturday 1st June 2019. 

The Act makes it illegal for landlords and agents to charge certain fees, for new tenancy agreements that are signed on or after 1st June 2019. 

The fees that landlords can still charge are rent, deposits (maximum of 5 weeks), holding deposits and charges for defaulting on the contract. 

However, all four of these are subject to additional restrictions as part of the new legislation, and landlords and agents will need to be mindful of these changes. 

Other fees, such as those relating to inventories, admin charges and gardening services are banned. 

Check your deposit has been registered correctly

If you have paid a deposit and you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy you landlord has a legal obligation to:

  • Protect your deposit with a government approved scheme within 30 days of receipt
  • Provide you with information about the scheme he has used (relevant information). If you don’t think your landlord has complied with his obligations, then you may be entitled to bring a claim through the courts for up to three times the value of your deposit.

Most tenancies are ASTs s whether you have a written tenancy agreement or not. Most tenancy agreements will state that it is an assured shorthold tenancy and give the period of the initial tenancy and the rental liability along with tenant and landlord responsibilities. The following are indicators that you have an ASTs :

  • If you rent from a private landlord
  • If you live in a separate building from your landlord
  • If your landlord does not have any right to come into your home

If your landlord has not correctly protected your deposit they cannot serve you a S21 notice unless they refund the whole deposit first.

Checking your property is up to standard

From April 2018, domestic and non-domestic private rented properties which have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating below an 'E' will require some energy efficiency improvements, if you are aware that your landlord is not compliant you can contact housing standards who will inspect the property and send a report to your landlord.View the Property inspection request form.

If you require any further information or advice on the private rented sector please contact our Private Sector Liaison Officer on 01625 378207 or email