Energy Efficiency in Private Rented Properties

Keeping energy bills down helps tenants to live in a safe and warm home. 

Energy Performance Certificates

Landlords must provide an Energy Performance Certificate for their property when letting to a new tenant. The certificate contains information about your property’s energy use and typical energy costs, and recommendations about how to reduce energy and save money.

The certificate gives a rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for ten years. You’ll need to find an accredited assessor to produce the certificate.

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards

From 1 April 2018, a landlord cannot let out a property which does not meet at least the minimum standard of Band E, making it an offence to let a Band F or G property on a new tenancy. From 1 April 2020 the prohibition was extended to Band F or G properties let on all tenancies regardless of when they started. There are some exemptions to this, visit GOV.UK for more information.

If we believe that a landlord may be in breach of the prohibition on letting a sub-standard property, or has been in breach of the prohibition at any time in the past 12 months, we may serve a compliance notice on the landlord. The compliance notice is a request for information. We may also require a landlord to make a self-declaration on the PRS Exemptions Register as part of the compliance notice. Failure to provide the information requested in a compliance notice, or failure to make a self-declaration on the PRS Exemptions Register may result in a penalty notice being served of up to £2,000. You can find more information in the Housing enforcement policy.

Funding for heating and insulation

Funding is available through the Government’s Energy Company Obligation for heating and insulation measures in private rented properties. Your tenant needs to meet the qualifying criteria – either receiving an ‘Affordable Warmth group’ benefit, or meeting the Council’s ECO Flexible Eligibility criteria. The level of funding varies according to your property type, so you should expect to have to pay a contribution towards the works; the exact amount will be confirmed by the installer.

Page last reviewed: 13 October 2023