Help with heating your home

Making your home more energy efficient will save you money on your fuel bills – and it can also improve your health by making your home warmer too. 

We can often access funding for heating repairs, replacement boilers and first time central heating systems. There are a number of ways you may qualify, including some welfare benefits, a combination of low income and high heating costs, or certain health conditions which are made worse by the cold. Most funding schemes don't pay for the full cost of heating, but we can mix and match funding to reduce the amount you need to pay. 

Complete the Help with Heating enquiry form to apply for help.

Green Doctor is a service for Cheshire residents who are homeowners or private tenants, providing free information, support and advice at home on ways you can take control of your fuel bills so you can afford to heat your home. Ways in which they can help include:

  • switching gas and electricity suppliers to the most affordable tariff
  • accessing heating and insulation grants
  • installing small energy saving devised such as draughtproofing, reflective radiator panels, low energy light bulbs and water saving devices
  • help with fuel debt
  • energy efficiency advice

You qualify if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • you receive an income or disability related benefit
  • your annual household income is less than £26,000
  • you have a long term health condition or disability that is made worse by the cold

To arrange a free home visit, or to find out more contact Green Doctor on 0808 168 3547 or email

Green Doctor works closely with our Care and Repair service, who will organise any heating improvements that are needed in your home.

Grants are available to install gas central heating in homes that don't already have central heating. This funding is made possible by a grant from National Grid, and is available until 31 December 2020. To qualify, you need to be a homeowner or a private tenant, and either receive one of the qualifying benefits for ECO, or qualify for ECO Flex - details of both of these schemes can be found on this page. You can also qualify if you are assessed as being in 'fuel poverty' - that is, you need to spend a lot of money to heat your home to an adequate temperature and you have a low income. Complete the enquiry form at the top of the page to find out more.

Grants of up to £2,000 are available for heating and insulation improvements for homeowners. More information about this grant can be found by visiting the Affordable Warmth Grant page

Small grants of up to £200 are available if you are concerned about gas safety in your home. You might need your gas boiler servicing, or need a gas safety check or repair to your gas fire, cooker, boiler or water heater, or have concerns about the gas pipework or flue. If you are sleeping in the same room as a gas appliance such as a fire or boiler, we recommend that you have regular gas safety checks and install a carbon monoxide detector. If you are a homeowner, have a low income and/or a disability you may qualify for this grant; complete the enquiry form at the top of the page

Major gas and electricity suppliers have to provide funding towards energy efficiency such as heating or insulation; if you are in receipt of any of the following welfare benefits you may qualify for help.

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Child Benefit (further criteria apply)
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Pension Credit Guarantee
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit

You can either contact one of the major energy suppliers (you don't have to be their customer to qualify), or complete the enquiry form at the top of the page and we can put you in touch with an ECO installer. Their funding doesn’t always cover the full cost of the work; we may be able to help you to apply for funding to help to make it more affordable.

ECO Flex

Funding is available through ECO for people who don't receive one of the qualifying benefits, but does meet local criteria in Cheshire East. We will provide written confirmation to the energy supplier or their installer if you meet our local criteria, and they will make the final decision on whether they can provide funding for heating or insulation. In summary, you may be eligible if you have a low income and your home is assessed as being a high cost to heat, or you have a low income and have a health condition or disability that makes you vulnerable to cold. 

We published a Statement of Intent (PDF, 268KB) on 8 August 2017 which details our eligibility criteria.

Complete the form at the top of the page for more information or to apply.

Contact us if you are an energy supplier or installer and you would like us to provide a Declaration for your customers.

LEAP  is run by Energy Projects Plus and offers free home energy visits to people who are vulnerable to living in a cold home. They offer energy advice, install simple energy measures such as radiator panels, LED bulbs, draughtproofing and chimney balloons, provide support with switching energy supplier and identifying funding for heating repairs. For a free energy visit, contact their telephone advice service on 0800 043 0151.

Energy Projects Plus provide a telephone advice service on 0800 043 0151 for Cheshire East residents, offering a wide range of advice on energy efficiency, information on insulation grants and offers, switching energy suppliers, managing fuel debt, renewable energy, and much more.

Our wholly owned Cheshire East company Civicance offer Energy Performance Certificates for your property. Energy Performance Certificates are usually needed when you rent our or sell your home, and provide useful information about the cost effectiveness of making energy efficiency improvements. Civicance also offer thermal imaging which is a useful tool to help you diagnose problems with your home including heat loss. For more information, visit Civicance.