Financial assistance for home repairs and adaptations

If you are over state pension age or disabled, our Care and Repair service can provide you with information about funding for home repairs and adaptations. This includes charities, loans, grants and using your own money. Care & Repair can help you with identifying possible funding options through to organising the building works for you.

Home adaptations for people with disabilities

The Orbitas Handyperson Service is a good source of help for small adaptations such as grab rails, handrails and key safes.

For help with larger adaptations such as stair lifts, walk-in showers and ramps, a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) is available. To find out more about these grants, please visit the Disabled Facilities Grants page.

The Independent Living Loan can be used to top up the Disabled Facilities Grant.

We offer a Disability Relocation Grant for disabled people needing to move a more suitable home.

Help with heating and hot water

An Affordable Warmth Grant of up to £2,000 is available for low income homeowners and people who are vulnerable to cold.

The ECO Flexibility Scheme is another good source of help if you have a low income and your home is hard to heat or you are vulnerable to cold.  

There are some external grant schemes available for people on low incomes and/or with certain health problems. Please contact the Save Energy Advice Line on 0800 043 0151  or Care and Repair for more information.

Home repairs

The Home Repairs and Adaptations for Vulnerable People: Financial Assistance Policy (PDF, 493KB) sets out how we will support our four main priorities: affordable warmth, independence, health and wellbeing, and a place to live.

Please note that we currently have very high demand for help with home repairs, and are operating a waiting list.

Homeowners can apply for a Healthy Homes Loan of up to £15,000 for essential home repairs. 

If you own an empty property, an Empty Homes Loan of up to £20,000 is available to bring properties back into use.


Contact us

0300 123 5017

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?