Apply for rented social housing in Cheshire East
Cheshire East does not have any council housing of its own and does not operate its own council housing waiting list. However, it is partnered with Guinness, Plus Dane and Cheshire Peaks and Plains Housing Trusts, who advertise affordable rented properties (referred to as 'social housing') via a website called Cheshire Homechoice. Housing applications can be made through the Homechoice website.
Apply for social housing through Cheshire Homechoice
- Firstly you need to register on Cheshire Homechoice (if you are not confident about using the internet you can contact us on 0300 123 5017 Option 1 Monday - Friday 10.30am - 12.30pm 13.30 and 4.30pm and we can help you).
- You may be asked to supply supporting evidence before your application and access to Cheshire Homechoice is activated. Any delays in providing the information requested may delay your access to housing.
- Search for rented social housing on Cheshire Homechoice. You can opt to view all available social housing, or search specific areas or types of housing using the detailed search options lower down on the page.
- You can bid (express an interest) for up to two properties at a time. The landlord of the property will assess the people in most housing need first to see If the household is suited to that home. They may then be given a final interview and an opportunity to view the home. More evidence of your circumstances and ability to afford the rent may be conducted before you are offered a home
- If you accept the offer of a tenancy on a home the landlord for the property will guide you through the paperwork.
How social housing applications are assessed
Each application for social housing is assessed and awarded a priority banding between A and E, A being the highest and most urgent priority. You can view the social housing allocations policy (PDF, 384KB) to see how properties are allocated in Cheshire East.
Other options for finding rented accommodation
Not all Housing Associations are partners with Cheshire Homechoice so you can also refer to other Housing Associations with social housing to rent in the Borough. These will have their own application process
The following landlords are currently committed to advertising 100% of their homes on the Cheshire Homechoice Website:
- Aspire Housing
- Equity Housing Group
- Great Places Housing Group
- Peaks & Plains Housing Trust
- Plus Dane Group
- Sage Housing
- Southway Housing Trust
- Staffordshire Housing Association
- The Guinness Partnership
- The Regenda Group
- The Riverside Group
- Trafford Housing Trust
- Weaver Vale Housing Trust
- Your Housing Group
You could also consider private rented accommodation if you are ineligible for social housing (or can't find something suitable)
This authority is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of fraud. It may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes. For further details visit our National Fraud Initiative page or telephone the Council on 0300 123 5500.
Page last reviewed: 15 December 2020
Thank you for your feedback.