Landlord and Tenant Issues

Housing officers can negotiate with other landlords and/or tenants in order to resolve disputes or misunderstandings. Quite often even when a landlord has served notice, there are ways in which we can help you to resolve issues so that you can remain in your family home. We will consider:

  • Landlord / tenant mediation
  • Floating support referrals
  • Debt and finance management.

Preventing eviction by resolving disputes will always be our primary aim. However, we need your full co-operation and permission before we can contact your landlord to discuss your circumstances.

Eviction from landlords

The landlord may decide to start eviction proceedings by serving a written section 21 notice. The current legal notice must be given on a Form 6a from

The minimum notice period, when relying on a section 21 notice, is 2 months and the landlord does not have to give a reason. However possession can not be given before a fixed term ends when relying on this course of action.

If a landlord can provide evidence that the tenant has broken the terms of the tenancy which may be for none payment or regular late payment of rent he can apply for eviction under Section 8 of the Housing Act. This requires a much shorter notice period and can be used at any time.  

Check your rights on the Shelter (Housing Charity) website.

If you feel that your landlord is trying to evict you without following the lawful procedure you should contact the housing options team on 0300 123 5017 or email . 

We can negotiate with your landlord in order to ensure your tenancy is ended correctly to allow you adequate time to find alternative accommodation. We could also help you understand why problems have arisen in the tenancy and try to find ways to resolve them.

Below is a range of factsheets to help people in the private sector understand their housing rights and responsibilities.

These factsheets are courtesy of Shelter.

Contact us

0300 123 5017

Page last reviewed: 18 January 2022