First Homes is a national government scheme designed to help local first-time buyers and key workers purchase a home with a 30% discount. First Homes is subject to eligibility, terms and conditions and available on selected plots and developments.
Please check on property sale websites for any First Homes properties which may be listed for sale.
First Homes eligibility
- Be a first-time buyer. For joint applications, both need to be first time buyers
- Live, work or have immediate family connection in Cheshire East
- Member of the Armed Forces, widow(er) of a member of the Armed Forces
- Key Worker - a person employed or with a confirmed job offer in one of the following categories of employment: health; education; emergency services and social workers
- Have a household income of £80,000 or less in the tax year before buying the home
A First Home should be the buyers only home and purchasers are required to fund at least 50% of the purchase price by means of a conventional mortgage, savings and any deposit where required.
Selling a First Home
When you buy a property under the scheme, a restriction will be added to its Land Registry entry, which will ensure the discount is attached and the property remains a part of the scheme even when it is resold.
Anyone selling a First Home will need to sell to a first-time buyer who qualifies for the scheme and with a 30% discount on the open market value. This is done via application forms with the Cheshire East Council Housing team.
Cheshire East Council Housing team should be informed of an intention to sell.
The First Home property must be valued by a surveyor accredited by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
CEC have a 3-month period to receive application forms from buyers who meet criteria. Once the 3 months has passed and if no buyer has been found, the owner can sell to any first-time buyer, regardless of lack of local connection.
Telephone - 07929 824 966
Email - email@example.com
Page last reviewed: 04 July 2023
Thank you for your feedback.