Main Construction Works
The main construction works for the scheme started in May 2022. The works are being carried out by contractor Balfour Beatty on behalf of Cheshire East Council.
The Construction works affecting existing roads will take place in
- Phase 1: Roundabout junction 1 and Roundabout junction 2 on A530 Middlewich Road - May 2022 – complete
- Phase 2: Roundabout junction 3 and Roundabout junction 5/East West Link - in progress
- Phase 3: Roundabout junction 4, North South Spine Road/Roundabout 6 and Realignment of Smithy Lane
Phase 2 of the North West Crewe Package scheme will include construction of roundabout junctions 3 (between Smithy Lane and Flowers Lane), Roundabout junction 5 and East West Link. In addition, works will progress on internal link roads and junctions. The construction activities will include
- Diversion of underground utilities.
- Building new drainage system under the new road
- Building new embankments.
- Building new roundabouts and overlaying the new road with the existing A530 Middlewich Road and Smithy Lane.
Where possible the works will be carried out under two way traffic lights. Due to significant construction activities, closing A530 Middlewich Road between Smithy Lane and Flowers Lane is required for safety of both construction workers and road users. Visit our traffic management page to keep up to date with road closure information.
The completion of Phase 2 will see two new roundabouts at Flowers Lane and Minshull New Road and a new road link connecting Roundabout 1 to Roundabout 6. A section of A530 Middlewich Road between Smithy Lane and Flowers Lane will be re-opened to the public.
Engagement with the local community
The project team has partnered with local charities to support and provide assistance to events held in Crewe. Information of past and future events can be found within the North West Crewe Package Newsletter.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get latest progress updates on the scheme.
For any site related queries, contact our Contractor’s Public Liaison Offer contact Steve Doolan (Balfour Beatty)
Telephone: +44 (0)7708487463
Page last reviewed: 16 September 2022
Thank you for your feedback.