HS2 and what Cheshire East Council will do next
We are lobbying for a new HS2 Hub Station at Crewe, with increased HS2 connectivity. A HS2 Hub at Crewe with enhanced HS2 connectivity will bring about extra benefits; it will bring even greater connectivity and support for existing businesses, inward investment and job creation. The development of HS2 and the transformation of the existing station into a High Speed Hub offers the unique opportunity to transform not only Crewe, but the entire North West region. In comparison from today, by 2043 the growth potential could be:
- An additional uplift of £1.8 billion to the UK economy by 2043 from development in Crewe
- 37,000 additional jobs in and around central Crewe
- 7,100 new homes directly linked to the station transformation
- potential for a massive increase in advanced engineering and manufacturing within the UK, building on both Crewe’s rail heritage and the existing massive skills base.
The Crewe HS2 Masterplan Vision, which the Council consulted on in 2017/18 demonstrates the transformative benefits to Crewe that could be delivered on the back of a hub station in the town.This vision and growth potential assume an integrated HS2 Hub serving many destinations, such as London, Manchester and Birmingham.
Phase 2b Western Leg Design Refinements Consultation
We have published our response to HS2 Ltd’s Phase 2b Western Leg (Crewe to Manchester) Design Refinements Consultation, which outlined the design modifications to deliver faster services.
The key proposals to the design north of Crewe are:
- Include Crewe Northern Connection in the design for HS2 to enable the benefits of Northern Powerhouse Rail and the Crewe Hub to be realised in future with more and quicker services to the North and the Midlands
- Modify the design of the Crewe North Rolling Stock Depot (which would be located just outside the borough boundary, in Cheshire West and Chester) to provide the required stabling and maintenance facilities for HS2 rolling stock and support the efficient operation of the HS2 network.
Read our full response to the consultation HS2 DRC2 team responses (PDF, 317KB)
Route map West Midlands to Manchester
For precise details of the HS2 project, it is advised that you visit The Department for Transport website.