Crewe Green Roundabout
Phase 2 of the Crewe Green Roundabout improvement scheme begins 18 April:
- link between roundabout and Hungerford Road and Sydney Road closed to allow the construction of the northern section of the new roundabout layout.
- single lane of traffic under traffic light control between Hungerford Road and Sydney Road.
- existing traffic lights on Crewe Green Roundabout switched off.
last updated 13/04/2018
- Closure of Crewe Green Road and Crewe Road Sunday 15 April to allow road surfacing and new road marking, traffic diversions will be in place on Crewe Green Road, 8am and 1pm and Crewe Road, 1pm to 6pm.
- Evening/night closure of University Way from roundabout to Beswick Drive Monday 16 April 8pm to 2am to allow road surfacing and new road marking, traffic diversions will be in place.
- Toucan crossing testing Tuesday 17 April on University Way, Crewe Green Road and Crewe Road.
- Evening/night closure of Hungerford Road and Sydney Road Tuesday 17, 8pm onwards to facilitate Phase 2 operations and traffic management.
- Installation of temporary footpath on Hungerford Road.
Crewe Green Roundabout construction
The main construction works for the scheme started on the 29 January. The new roundabout will fully open to traffic, including landscaping of the site in November 2018.
The construction work will take place in 3 phases:
- Phase 1: end of January to April 2018 (12 weeks)
- Phase 2: April/May to July 2018 (12 weeks)
- Phase 3: July/August to November 2018 (16 weeks)
The existing roundabout will remain open with a single lane of traffic operating throughout the construction phase. Controlled pedestrian and cycle crossings will be maintained throughout the works.
During Phase 2 the link between the roundabout and Hungerford Road and Sydney Road will be closed to allow the construction of the northern section of the new roundabout layout. We will maintain a single lane of traffic under traffic light control between Hungerford Road and Sydney Road. There will be a signposted diversion route for other road users. The existing traffic lights on Crewe Green Roundabout will also be switched off within this phase.
Further information and dates of closures will be updated on this website in due course and on www.roadworks.org
We will be providing regular updates on the scheme throughout the construction phases through this website and Cheshire East Councils social media sites.
If you would like to receive direct updates or sign up to a Crewe Green Roundabout newsletter, please contact us via: firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your contact details.
Crewe Green Roundabout acts as the principal route into Crewe from the north, east, and south for both local traffic and strategic network traffic originating from the M6 junctions 16 and 17.
The roundabout experiences high volumes of traffic throughout the day but experiences severe congestion during peak commuting times, resulting in delays and unreliable journey times.
The improvements at Crewe Green Roundabout will ease congestion at the junction, improve local and strategic access issues and provide increased road network capacity to support Cheshire East Councils Local Plan up to 2030. They will also unlock growth potential and improve access to a number of development sites in and around Crewe.
We held two consultation and engagement exercises to gather feedback. The first was held in summer 2016 and presented four options for improving the roundabout. The second presented the preferred scheme and requested feedback. Both reports can be found below.