Requirement for land drainage consent

As a Lead Local Flood Authority we have taken over responsibility to control works and activities carried out on ordinary watercourses within Cheshire East under Section 23 of the Land Drainage Act 1991.

Any person or party proposing to undertake any works that have the potential to affect flow within an ordinary watercourse (whether temporary or permanent) must seek written consent from Cheshire East Council. This can also include repairs to some existing structures as well as maintenance works.

If you are unsure whether your proposed works will require consent, please email the flood risk management team.

Even if you have planning permission, consent will still be required to undertake works on ordinary watercourses.

How to apply for land drainage consent

An application form and supporting guidance notes are available below:

Once you have completed your application form please send to:

Cheshire East Council
Flood Risk Management Team
Floor 6
Delamere House
Delamere Street

Or email a copy to

Upon receipt of an application, there is a time limit of 8 weeks to grant or refuse consent. Consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.

Works undertaken without consent

Works cannot be retrospectively consented. Where any damaging or potentially damaging works on an ordinary watercourse have been undertaken without consent, enforcement action may be taken. In addition, enforcement action may be taken where works have been undertaken in a manner that contravenes a consent.

Contact us

Report a problem online

If you consider a highways issue to be dangerous, or an emergency, please call us on:

0300 123 5020
(8:30am – 5:00pm)

0300 123 5025
(after 5pm and before 8:30am, including weekends)


Floor 6
Delamere House

Delamere Street Crewe

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?