Park homes and caravan site licences

Sites within the borough of Cheshire East Council on which park homes, mobile homes or caravans are situated for the purpose of habitation either permanently (relevant protected sites) or for holiday use, including Gypsy and Traveller sites are required to be licensed by this Council. Once planning permission has been granted for that use. A site may consist of one or more caravan(s); they may be residential or recreational/touring.

Some sites are exempt from licensing, mostly those approved by the Caravan Club, those which are used only a few times each year, ancillary to the use of a dwelling and those exempted by legislation.

Mobile Homes Act 2013 - site rules online register

In accordance with the Mobile Homes Act 2013, all Local Authorities must retain an online register of Site Rules for those sites that fall within the Act. It is the responsibility of the Council to maintain the register and all site rules received by the Council must be included on the public register. Please note, it is the responsibility of the site owners to provide copies of the site rules and all of the site rules, submitted to the Council are an exact copy of those that have been received. The Council does not enforce the rules and as such we accept no responsibility if there are errors or omissions and it is the responsibility of the site owners to provide any updates or amendments.

To view the submitted site rules please use the link below:-


View additional guidance on residential park homes on Communities and Local Government website


You will need to contact the Environmental Health Team when you are in a position to apply for a caravan/park home licence. 


The Mobile Homes Act 2013 introduced the provision for a local authority to charge for its inspection, administration and enforcement functions in relation to residential caravan sites. These fees are set annually by the General Licensing Committee view a copy of the Fees and Charges Policy 2020-2021 (PDF, 114KB).

Fees and charges for mobile home licensing
Mobile Home Licensing Function£
Annual Fee (dependent upon pitch numbers) 198.00 - 463.00
New Application Fee (dependent upon pitch numbers) 198.00 - 463.00
Transfer Fee 116.00
Simple Licence Amendment 116.00
Detailed Licence Amendment 348.00
Deposit of Site Rules 38.00
Service of Statutory Notice Cost Recovery

Application evaluation process

Conditions are not normally imposed on a site licence where these controls are already in place eg planning permission conditions, or other legislation eg fire safety controls covered by the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

The application for a site licence must follow the planning permitted use and layout. Deviation from this will result in refusal as only site permitted by the planning process can be licensed.

Following the grant of planning permission the Environmental Health Team will inspect the site and discuss conditions that may be attached to a licence to cover any of the following:

  • controlling the types of caravans on the site eg BS standards for recreational and or residential use.
  • controlling the positioning of the caravans or regulating the use of other structures and vehicles including tents
  • fire safety and fire fighting controls – requirement for the production of a Fire Risk Assessment
  • to ensure that sanitary and other facilities, services and equipment are supplied and maintained
  • to ensure adequate roadways
  • general public health and health and safety measures

This is not an exhaustive list.

You must allow the officer free access to the site and provide all the required information.

Eligibility criteria

  • The applicant must be entitled to use the land as a caravan site. If planning permission is required then this must be granted before the licence can be issued.
  • Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.
  • Generally the site licence will be in the name of the landowner or registered company.
  • Where someone does not meet a fit and proper person criteria (when enacted by legislation - Mobile Homes Act 2013).

Right of appeal

If a licence application is refused or an application or to alter a condition in an existing licence, they may appeal to the Residential Property Tribunals (residential – relevant protected sites – Mobile Homes Act 2013) or the magistrates court for all other sites. The appeal must be made within 28 days of the written notification of the refusal and a notice of appeal must be served on Cheshire East Council.

Other useful organisations