You must protect the health and safety of your workers and others who might be affected by your activities. Health and safety is about sensible, proportionate actions that protect people - not unnecessary bureaucracy and paperwork.
This list shows some of the key actions required by law that apply to nearly every business. Each point has a link to more detailed information.
- A Competent Person must be appointed to help you meet your health and safety duties. This could be yourself, one or more of your workers or someone from outside your business.
- A Health And Safety Policy is needed to help you manage health and safety if you have 5 or more employees.
- Risk Assessments need to be done to decide what could harm your staff and what precautions you need to take.
- Basic Welfare Facilities must be provided eg toilets, washing facilities and drinking water.
- Health and Safety Training must be provided free of charge to your employees.
- Consult Your Workers on health and safety.
- A Health and Safety Law Poster must be displayed or give your workers a leaflet with the information.
- Report some work-related accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences. Visit our Accident Reporting page.
For further information visit HSE Getting Started