Starting a new food business  

When starting a new food business it is very important to get things right at the start.  Mistakes early on can turn out to be costly.  Good food hygiene helps prevent food poisoning and protects your reputation with customers.

Starting up my food business

  • Register your premises. Register for free at least 28 days before opening.
    Food Business Registration
  • The design and construction of your premises must meet legal requirement.  Contact us for further information.
  • Waste and recycling collections need to be arranged. Waste oil must not be put with your other waste.  It must be removed by an approved contractor - removal is usually free of charge.
  • Food safety management procedures must be set up - decide which food safety records you will need to keep. Safer Food Better Business is a free food safety management system. 
  • Staff training must be adequate for business – make sure you and your staff understand the principles of good food hygiene. Food Safety Training 
  • Health and safety and fire safety arrangements must be adequate.  Health and Safety 
  • A licence may be needed if you intend:
    - selling alcohol
    - putting on public entertainment
    - selling hot food and drink late at night
    - selling food on the street
  • Food Labelling and Weights and Measures information must be accurate. When Food is sold loose, the labelling requirements are generally relatively basic.  When foods are pre-packed away from the consumer and destined for sale full food labelling is usually required. In both cases the food must be accurately described. Some foods are required to meet a legal composition level and they may need to be sold by quantity. Trading Standards 
  • Planning permission may be needed if you:
    - want to change the way a premises is used
    - make major changes to the structure of a premises
    - install a ventilation stack to the building.
  • Business Rates – ensure you are registered with Cheshire East Council for Business Rates.

More information

The Food Standards Agency has produced a booklet for new food businesses.  Starting Up – Your first step to running a catering business, is available in English and other languages from the Food Standards Agency website.

  • FSA Starting Up website 

Contact us

Commercial Services - Cheshire East Council

0300 123 5015

Can you help?

Let us know what you think of this website.

Website survey

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?