Registration of Food Business Premises

How to register

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the Council at least 28 days before doing so.

You can register your food business online via GOV.UK.

Or you may print out and complete the Food Premises Registration Form (PDF, 81KB) and send it to the address stated on the form.

If you have premises in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

Need to register

If you run a food business you must tell us about any premises you use for;

  • storing
  • selling
  • distributing or
  • preparing food or drinks

Food premises includes;

  • restaurants
  • hotels
  • cafés
  • shops
  • supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices
  • warehouses
  • guest houses
  • delivery vehicles
  • buffet cars on trains
  • market and other stalls such as hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.
  • private houses used for a food business

Charity and voluntary organisations

Charities or voluntary organisations also need to register if they are providing food or drink to the public. 

Mobile food premises

You are required by law to register your mobile food premises with the local authority in which your vehicle is normally kept.  If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you need only register the premises and not each vehicle. But we will need to know how many vehicles you are using.


There is no fee payable to register a food business.

Registration of your business

Food businesses are required to register their premises (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures). Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all the premises in our area so we can visit them when we need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business and the standards of hygiene.

Changes to your business

Once you have registered you must notify us of any changes such as change of food business operator, change of nature of the business, change of address at which moveable premises are kept, etc.

 Online notification of change to food premises.

Approval of premises

If you intend to manufacture, process, produce or handle products of animal origin and supply to other food establishments your operations may require approval rather than registration. If you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require approval, please contact us using the details at the top left of this page.


Other useful organisations

Contact us

Commercial Services - Cheshire East Council

0300 123 5015

Can you help?

Let us know what you think of this website.

Website survey

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate this information?