Property sales and searches

It is increasingly common for mortgage lenders to request an environmental search to help them decide if the property is suitable security to lend money on. The searches are undertaken by specialist companies who offer an insurance backed certificate for the property. The searches are based solely on the historic land use of the site in question and in no way gives a guarantee that the land in question does not meet the statutory definition of contaminated land.

If a property fails the search then the company may advise you to contact the Contaminated Land Team of the Local Authority.  We may be aware of specific information about the site that can help you with your enquires.

The Contaminated Land Team holds a variety of information on the following:-

  • Contaminated Land Section records of contamination issues at the site and at land adjacent to the site
  • Unlicensed, pre-licensing or closed landfill sites 
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990 Part 2A, sites determined to be statutory contaminated land in Cheshire East
  • Site investigations where available and appropriate 
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990, Statutory Nuisance Notices
  • Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999, Part A(1) and A(2) and Part B Permitted Processes 
  • Private Water Supplies Regulations 1991
  • Radioactive Substances Act 1993
  • Air Quality Management Areas
  • Smoke Control Areas
  • Radon Gas
  • 1967 Foot and Mouth Burial Sites

If you require information that the Local Authority does not hold, then they can advise you on the best agency to contact.

We would also recommend that anyone undertaking a Phase I Preliminary Risk Assessment within Cheshire East also contact the Contaminated Land Team to enquire about information we hold on the study site and surrounding area.

If you require written confirmation of the information held by the local Authority a charge may be applicable and further information can be supplied upon request. 

Please note that we require payment up front for most searches, unless prior agreement is made. You can pay by cheque or make a card payment over the telephone. Please see our fees and charges page for current rates. The search will be conducted within twenty working days from receipt of payment.

If the information we supply is used in any future reports or documents, the full search text shall be included and quoted verbatim.

Please contact the Contaminated Land Team to discuss your requirements.

What you will need for the request

To request an environmental search you will need:

  • a plan clearly showing the boundary of the property or land
  • a list of the specific information that you require; and
  • your contact details

In addition if the property was built within the last 10 years, it may be covered by an NHBC warranty. Alternatively you may be able to insure against the risk of the cost of remediating the land if it is found to be required. Your solicitor will be able to advise you further on this matter.