Hiring out of horses

To run a business hiring out horses for riding or for instruction in riding in Cheshire East you will need a licence from the council.

This includes:

  • Riding schools
  • Hiring out horses – trekking, loan horses, pony parties (where the ponies are ridden), hunter hirelings, polo/polocrosse instruction, pony hire, pony and donkey rides

Refer to the hiring out horses guidance notes (PDF, 467KB) to see whether you require a licence.

How to apply

You can download the applicant profile, application form and the declaration form to apply for a licence for the hiring out of horses: 

Return completed forms to:

Animal Health and Welfare Team
Regulatory Services and Health
Municipal Buildings

Or email animalhealthandwelfare@cheshireeast.gov.uk (you will need to make a payment by calling 01270 686601 or 01270 686597 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm if you apply by email).


A fee is payable upon application. View details of fees for hiring of horses licence.

Right of appeal

Any person aggrieved by a refusal to be granted a licence, alteration of a licence or the risk/star rating given may appeal against the decision.

Other useful organisations