Cheshire is mainly a rural county with 70% of the County’s land still remaining in agricultural production. The outbreak of foot and mouth disease in 2001 brought significant changes in Legislation affecting the Farming Industry. We have a team of dedicated officers in Cheshire Trading Standards Service who are on hand to assist and advise farmers in complying with their statutory obligations.
We do this by:
- Monitoring animal movements by licence.
- Checking movement and associated records on farms.
- Monitor welfare standards of animal which are kept on farm, or are in transit or exposed for sale in livestock markets.
- The carcass of any animal found on agricultural premises has to be disposed of in compliance strict rules, we monitor that these rules are complied with.
- We maintain contingency plans which when deployed involve the assistance of the District Councils in Cheshire. These plans exist to help support DEFRA in the event of any serious outbreak of animal disease.
- We monitor the import and export of any animals and take action if any illegal imports of animals are reported to us.
If you need more detailed information on meeting your legal obligations or indeed any practical assistance or advice the following links may be of help.
We have a range of business advice leaflets on the principal pieces of legislation which may affect you. These can be downloaded from Trading Standards Institute.
We also hold supplies of the main statutory records movement documents you are required to keep and complete you can contact us directly to obtain these.
You may find the following links useful in relation to animal welfare:
Information about bird flu
Further information is available from DEFRA on the following matters:
- Animal health and welfare: Telephone: 01785 231900
- All other agricultural matters: Telephone: 01270 754000
- British Cattle Movement Service: Telephone: 01900 702222
- Fallen Stock Scheme: Telephone: 0845 054 8888
Other useful welfare related links for farmers
Confidential help for the farming community is available from: