Animal Welfare and Licensing

Under the Animal Welfare Act, it’s against the law to be cruel to an animal. If you own an animal, you must ensure that its welfare needs are met.


Choose a link from our navigation menu to apply for animal licences issued by Environmental Health.

Reporting stray dogs and cats

The Dog Warden Service can assist with stray, fouling, barking or aggressive dogs. Find out more information about the Dog Warden Service and report problems.The Council does not deal with stray cats but you can contact the RSPCA below.

Reporting cruelty to animals

If you suspect an animal is being neglected or subjected to cruelty, take note of what you've seen. Then phone the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals’ (RSPCA) 24-hour cruelty and advice line on 0300 1234 999. You’ll be asked to give a detailed description of what you have seen or heard. Visit the RSPCA website for more information.

Organisations like the RSPCA may request the help of the Council or the police if they need to gain access to a property or are physically threatened by the owner.