Risk of flooding
- Keep an emergency grab bag with items such as a radio with spare batteries or a wind up radio. A battery torch with spare batteries or a wind up torch. First aid kit and medication, bottled water and emergency food enough for three days. Copies of important family documents in a waterproof bag, such as passports, birth and insurance certificates
- Protect doorways and low level air vents with sandbags or rubbish bags filled with earth
- Turn off gas and electricity
- Move as much as you can, including food, upstairs
- If you are trapped by flooding, remain near a window to attract attention
- Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for warnings and information
- Check on your neighbours, particularly those who are elderly or infirm
Please visit the Environment Agency website for up-to-date information.
In the event of flooding, there may be risks of ill health due to water-borne infection.
The Health Protection Agency have issued advice on what measures should be taken to reduce these risks.
The Environment Agency have produced 3 guides giving practical advice on preparing before a flood, also what to do during and after a flood.
Cheshire East Flood Mitigation Policy